Show off your Silkies!

Interesting you should mention the straight comb.  While observing my silkie babies today, I noticed 3 of the six have what appears to be a straight comb. I thought it was odd. I did purchase them from TSC so I know they are not of show quality.  They are only 2.5 weeks old. I don't know if the comb will change.or not.:idunno

Unfortunately, it will not change. But, unless you plan on showing, its no biggie :)

Unfortunately, it will not change. But, unless you plan on showing, its no biggie
smile.png
It is no biggie. Does this mean they are mixed with something? I am just hoping what ever they were mixed with is docile. They seam to be a skittish bunch. My BO were very tame at there age

Not necessarily. If your Silkies came from a hatchery (or feed store), its common for them to have incorrect combs, missing/extra toes, no feathers on their legs, I've even seen them with normal feathers. The thing is, those hatcheries are breeding for quantity, not quality. They're hatching as many chicks to sell as possible with little to no regard for the necessary traits certain breeds should possess.

If it makes you feel any better, all of my Silkie chicks act like I'm some predator out to get them. They go through this phase where they basically poop themselves if I even so much as look in their direction. Eventually they mellow out and realize I'm the lady that brings the food. Some chicks are outgoing and friendly, others more standoffish, thats just the way it goes. I have heard that hatchery and feed store Silkies are more skittish than breeder Silkies. Honestly, I'm not sure how true that is though, I've never had Silkies from a hatchery. I'd imagine time and treats will tame them :)

Interesting you should mention the straight comb.  While observing my silkie babies today, I noticed 3 of the six have what appears to be a straight comb. I thought it was odd. I did purchase them from TSC so I know they are not of show quality.  They are only 2.5 weeks old. I don't know if the comb will change.or not.:idunno

Interesting! :) Since you know they are not show quality, chances are that they have a bit of cochin or bantam cochin because the straight comb is a recessive gene. Pure silkies do not have a straight comb, which means that your chicks have to be part cochin (which is a common breed to mix with silkies to get the frizzle) or some other chicken. Hopefully this makes sense! ;-)

Not necessarily. If your Silkies came from a hatchery (or feed store), its common for them to have incorrect combs, missing/extra toes, no feathers on their legs, I've even seen them with normal feathers. The thing is, those hatcheries are breeding for quantity, not quality. They're hatching as many chicks to sell as possible with little to no regard for the necessary traits certain breeds should possess.

If it makes you feel any better, all of my Silkie chicks act like I'm some predator out to get them. They go through this phase where they basically poop themselves if I even so much as look in their direction. Eventually they mellow out and realize I'm the lady that brings the food. Some chicks are outgoing and friendly, others more standoffish, thats just the way it goes. I have heard that hatchery and feed store Silkies are more skittish than breeder Silkies. Honestly, I'm not sure how true that is though, I've never had Silkies from a hatchery. I'd imagine time and treats will tame them
smile.png
Crossing my fingers, treats will train them. I've tried to give the meal worms and they just stare at them. Perhaps they are to young at this point.
Interesting! :) Since you know they are not show quality, chances are that they have a bit of cochin or bantam cochin because the straight comb is a recessive gene. Pure silkies do not have a straight comb, which means that your chicks have to be part cochin (which is a common breed to mix with silkies to get the frizzle) or some other chicken. Hopefully this makes sense! ;-)
Ohhh I would love a frizzle!!!!!

Ok so I know I should not have only one.
hide.gif
But this is by far my favorite chick. Its a very curious bird. He/she appears to have a straight comb. So not pure silkie but it has my heart.
love.gif

Last edited:

hide.gif
SORRY guys!!! I know I keep posting pics of my Silkies. But it is a show off your silkie thread, and I'm supper excited to be a silkie mommy. My chick to the right is the one above that's my fave. You can see the straight comb more clearly in this pic

Back
Top Bottom