Show off your Silkies!

Any tips on breaking a broody silkie? Lol she isn't really that old either!:barnie

Give her eggs to hatch? Works everytime for me ;)

Seriously though, if you have a wire bottomed cage, lock her inside for a few days (with food and water, of course) with no bedding. If she heads back to the nest when you open the door, repeat and extend the time by a day or two. The water dunk would probably work too, but just seems a little rude (IMO). The cage has worked well for me. Good luck.

Ya well when I have a broody Silkie I am letting her hatch every time

I would let her hatch but unfortunately we recently lost a pullet to mareks and I don't want to go through that again with any more chicks... To much heartbreak :hit and I also have 3 chicks that are 7 weeks old that are vaccinated for mareks and coccidiosis that will be joining the flock in a couple weeks!

And now I think she is getting my bantam wtandotte broody ( because she sits in the best box with the silkie at night and gets all defensive when you toch her)...

Last edited:
My silkies are getting big! i know one is buff but is my other considered partridge?

I would let her hatch but unfortunately we recently lost a pullet to mareks and I don't want to go through that again with any more chicks... To much heartbreak :hit and I also have 3 chicks that are 7 weeks old that are vaccinated for mareks and coccidiosis that will be joining the flock in a couple weeks!

And now I think she is getting my bantam wtandotte broody ( because she sits in the best box with the silkie at night and gets all defensive when you toch her)...

You could vaccinate your own chicks. Not that I'm an enabler or anything....
Thats so sad :hit Did you send one off for a necropsy to confirm it was Mareks?

Back
Top Bottom