Show quality birds at Strombergs?

tiki244

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Jan 1, 2008
WestCentralWisconsin
I have heard on here that Strombergs only gets its chickens from other hatcheries and then reships them. But does anyone have experience with the birds that they are representing as show quality and charging a considerable more money for? Or know of anything about this? Thanks

I've never ordered chicks from them, but I don't think anyone can sell eggs or chicks as show quality.....I suppose they all have the potential to be show quality, but that wouldn't show up as eggs or chicks.

I agree with Katy, the best they can do is provide chicks from show quality breeding pairs -- but can they really be sure that's what they're selling? Can you?

Quote:
They are getting their hatching eggs from a poultry breeder/judge who shows his stock and he does breed to the Standard of Perfection. It does not mean that you will get show quality chicks but the chances are much better at getting birds that are closer to the Standard of Perfection.

Cheers,
Steffano2

I think they get *some* of their breeds from private breeders. The breeds that are "for show" on their page. The rest, I think they come from another hatchery.

On Strombergs is $3.75 per female Australorp chick a fair price?
hu.gif

Look at what Duane Urch offers for sale and compare it to what Stromberg's offers.
Only difference is price.
One is MUCH higher than the other.
I'm talking about the show quality matings only.

Last edited:
I have my own opinion on show birds/show quality. I rather buy from a breeder who is known for their show birds and their winnings. Someone who breeds according to the book Standard of perfection. I can order chicks from a hatchery but most likely they have a lot of defects. Like I said just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom