1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Show Quality Light brahma

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MonkeyZero, Aug 11, 2008.

1. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Well I am buying 1 LB hen from a guy who says its SQ. Whats that supposed to mean??? Any pics of SQ vs Regular quality?

2. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    You don't want to see black anywhere but the hackles, tail, and a little bit in the wings.

Here's a sq buff brahma, a light brahma would be the same, but instead of the buff, it would be white.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  3. MonkeyZero

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    HOW CUTE!!!
    HMMM I wonder if he's telling the truth, cause he says he won first prize with her, and shes 5 months old. IS there any Special care involved with SQ's

4. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:She's only 5 months old? That sounds odd, especially since it takes that large breed so long to show, usually they aren't shown until they're at least 8 months old.

Are you planning on showing and thus keeping her in show condition? They're feather legged so they shouldn't free range, plus their color will be tainted by the sun if they free range. Normally, if you show brahmas they have large indoor pens with shavings for the floor to help their foot feathers.

5. MonkeyZero

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Oh no, he got her mixed up. Shes a year old. VERY LARGE AND HEAVY, and somewhat mean to the other lil ones, but its pecking order, lol

6. MonkeyZero

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Plus she has her wings clipped, as I wont show her(Im 2 dumb!!!). But she cant fly, and is about 8-10 lbs. YAY... [​IMG] :thun

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2008
  7. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Her feathers on her wings will grow back when she molts and she won't need her wings clipped because she won't be able to fly anyway.

8. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    If you wanted them t ocome back in sooner than the next molt, pull them.

9. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Brahmas are a heavy breed so you don't need to clip their wings.

10. reallemons1

reallemons1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    Anyone got a picture of a buff or white SQ Brahma roo?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by