show quality speckled sussex ??

If you study some of the SS of today the Males have pure White feathers in the Tail and wing. I would never breed this female to any male that had the Pure white feathers. Don

Don, I am new to setting up breeding pairs or trios. I have 12 cockerels to pick from that are around 14 weeks of age. (Got them from Albritton.) I am afraid I am not seeing any that DO NOT have at least one solid white feather in the wings!!! :( And, I just noticed one that has solid white feathers in his tail too! So, he would be a definite axe!
So, my question is this: What criteria do I use to pick my top 2 or 3 males if all have a solid white feather in the wings?
Thank you for your time!!!
Tina

edited to narrow down what I was referring to in Don's post.

Last edited:
I can help if you will post some of the young males here, two or three at a time and we can give you a complete critique. Post a side, top, rear and front view. Glad to help you as we need more SS breeders. Don

I can help if you will post some of the young males here, two or three at a time and we can give you a complete critique. Post a side, top, rear and front view. Glad to help you as we need more SS breeders. Don
Thank you so much Don! I am in the middle of doing coop cleaning chores today. So it may be tomorrow or so before I can get some picts. up!!! Would a wing spread view be helpful too?

Sunflower girl,
Do you like the bantam version of the Speckled Sussex? More birds for the same amount of space, smile. Here is a pic of some lovely examples of breed type in the bantams:
http://www.skytopbantams.com/sussex.html The folk at Skytop are master Breeders of Speckled Sussex Bantams. Breed type is the same in both large fowl and bantams. These birds are especially correct for ratios of color in the bay, black and white patterning.
Best Regards,
Karen
" Lilly" is an example of the breed type in the Gary Overton strain. Skytop made their strain by combining Overton and Mongold strains. They are very correct.

Last edited:
Sunflower girl,
Do you like the bantam version of the Speckled Sussex? More birds for the same amount of space, smile. Here is a pic of some lovely examples of breed type in the bantams:
http://www.skytopbantams.com/sussex.html The folk at Skytop are master Breeders of Speckled Sussex Bantams. Breed type is the same in both large fowl and bantams. These birds are especially correct for ratios of color in the bay, black and white patterning.
Best Regards,
Karen
" Lilly" is an example of the breed type in the Gary Overton strain. Skytop made their strain by combining Overton and Mongold strains. They are very correct.

Karen, those are absolutely gorgeous bantam Speckled Sussex!!! But, alas, I am a large fowl girl! lol! Maybe I will need to work REALLY HARD at getting Overton Speckled Sussex!!! I am going to have to figure out how he works!

edited to fix a comma!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom