show quality speckled sussex ??

Does anyone have info on the Speckled Sussex from Loyl Stromberg in the 70-80's?

Also, does anyone have SS or any type of Sussex birds from Waltz Ark, Colorado?

Thanks very much!

wow, wow, wow! That breast looks like she has Overton in her. Wow. Breed her to a top quality Overton cock. Send a picture of her to Judge Gary Overton ( Mr. Sussex) and see what he says. Just superior in so many ways. Good for you! Such lovely speckling pattern. It takes generations and much skill to get it this nice. ( another reason I think she has Overton in her). Judge Overton created one of the top show strains in the US and has had it for many years. His strain has the stability of plumage coloring genes to help you keep the lovely pattern your hen has. This hen is really precious. Do not waste her on anything but the very best cocks( and expect to pay for them but it will be well worth it!).
Best,
Karen

http://www.skytopbantams.com/sussex.html
"Lilly" is a Overton Bantam. I know your's is a large fowl but look at that breast that Overton is famous for both in his large and Bantam Speckled Sussex.
You need an adult cock. This hen is already 3 years old. You don't want to wait another year for the cock to grow up. Breeding her to a 1 yr. old cock would work fine.

Last edited:
wow, wow, wow! That breast looks like she has Overton in her. Wow. Breed her to a top quality Overton cock. Send a picture of her to Judge Gary Overton ( Mr. Sussex) and see what he says. Just superior in so many ways. Good for you! Such lovely speckling pattern. It takes generations and much skill to get it this nice. ( another reason I think she has Overton in her). Judge Overton created one of the top show strains in the US and has had it for many years. His strain has the stability of plumage coloring genes to help you keep the lovely pattern your hen has. This hen is really precious. Do not waste her on anything but the very best cocks( and expect to pay for them but it will be well worth it!).
Best,
Karen

http://www.skytopbantams.com/sussex.html
"Lilly" is a Overton Bantam. I know your's is a large fowl but look at that breast that Overton is famous for both in his large and Bantam Speckled Sussex.
You need an adult cock. This hen is already 3 years old. You don't want to wait another year for the cock to grow up. Breeding her to a 1 yr. old cock would work fine.
Karen, Thank you so much for your nice words! Gary has actually seen pictures of her...LOL He loves her.
I got her from a friend, and we know nothing about her breeding, other than she came from Maine and is thought to not be hatchery stock.
She will be a foundation hen for me, god willing. She's already 3...so hopefully next spring I can put her in with some goodies I am obtaining shortly!
The best part about her is her personality, seriously the type that children's books are written about.

I will be in touch!

Leela
Kindred Hill Farm
Deering, NH

I do not believe this Hen looks at all like the Overton SS. This female has more Body and type than the Overton SS have. It would be interesting to actually find out where female actually was bred. Looks like the SS hen that was posted a couple of months ago on this thread. Don

I do not believe this Hen looks at all like the Overton SS. This female has more Body and type than the Overton SS have. It would be interesting to actually find out where female actually was bred. Looks like the SS hen that was posted a couple of months ago on this thread. Don
I may have very well posted her before...I'm a bit absent minded in my old age! LOL
I will take a look through the old threads. I know I posted her on a facebook group a while back.

All the best,

Leela

Snowbird, are you possibly referring to Clucksworth's post from 7/2/15 Post #2076? Several very nice looking birds there...and they are in UK.

How do you think my hen pictured would do paired with an Overton cock?

She is more substantial in size than some of my other SS of unkown origin, they are way too gay at 2 yrs old, too light in base color and tail sets much too high. I am not even going to use them for breeding.

I hatched out ONE egg out of 20 shipped eggs this spring...lines are nice, and based with Overton and Reichert cross. It is one month old and I think it's a male. Hatched out solid yellow with gold overtones, but is feathering out nicely.

Thanks very much!

Leela
Kindred Hill Farm
Deering, NH

Last edited:
Yes, I was talking about Cluckworths SS from England I believe. Your female has the same type and overall looks to that female. Not very many with this type and coloration show up any more. If you study some of the SS of today the Males have pure White feathers in the Tail and wing. I would never breed this female to any male that had the Pure white feathers. Notice also that you have a nice Black Bar behind the white Spangles. If you have question please ask and try and answer for you. Don

Back
Top Bottom