show quality speckled sussex ??

The chicks I have hatched out of Reichert and Overton strains the past year all hatch out yellow, some with faint stripes on back, dark dots on heads etc. They have feathered out beautifully, most have correct ground color. Tony Albritton, Overton, Reichert all seem to be hatching out yellow, gold, some with reddish cast, some with faint dark splotches or faint striping. No chipmunks here.

I kinda miss those little buggers.

The lighter, almost solid buff colored chicks tend to turn out to have the better color as opposed to the hatchery styled chipmunk faced chick.

I've worked with this breed for about 7 years now. My current stock is from Reichert and I have been working exclusively for over four years now.

Needless to say, I can confirm that the lighter chicks, the ones lacking the expected chipmunk face markings, usually mature into nicely colored adults.

Last edited:
Hum, this means the Speckled Sussex as a variety are moving from the e+ allele to the eWh allele. Well, that's just fascinating. It sure turns on its head all the historic info on how to properly breed this color. Having forsaken all the historic info on how to breed this color, what is the variety going to do now? Just breed by sight? I would really curious to know what the hues of underfluff are on these light chicks when they feather out into their adult plumage? Has that changed?
Hum,
Karen

This year's hatch are correct mahogany brown when fully feathered out. I have cockerels and pullets on the ground now, 6 months old and looking fabulous. Will be showing at Congress in Jan, would love to have you come out!!!

They are all eWh in the UK, and they have correct ground color.

Karen,

These boys all hatched out eWh, solid gold, some had faint black/dark brown faint stripes, broken up on back mostly.

They are now 6 months. 2 k's remain in my flock, at least one of the boys will be shown, and probably 3-4 of the pullets from this hatch.

This year's hatch are correct mahogany brown when fully feathered out. I have cockerels and pullets on the ground now, 6 months old and looking fabulous. Will be showing at Congress in Jan, would love to have you come out!!!

They are all eWh in the UK, and they have correct ground color.
I would like to regress to Karen's question about under color. Is the under color (on the down next to the skin) a grayish color or is a reddish color.

I would like to regress to Karen's question about under color. Is the under color (on the down next to the skin) a grayish color or is a reddish color.
I've been taught by mentors/breeders and have read some old literature pertaining to this, that you want it to be gray shading into salmon that the very base of the feather...the optimal spot for search is at the back, just above base of tail area. Dig deep. With this coloring you should be golden.

I've been taught by mentors/breeders and have read some old literature pertaining to this, that you want it to be gray shading into salmon that the very base of the feather...the optimal spot for search is at the back, just above base of tail area. Dig deep. With this coloring you should be golden.
Birds that are wild type at the extension locus normally have a gray under color while light wheaten normally has a light wheaten to reddish under color. The hue of the under color in wheaten birds depends on the genetic makeup of the bird.

If you look at the structure of the extension locus alleles they really is a small difference between the structure of one allele and another allele. Also, with the alleles research is finding that there is more than one kind of wild-type allele, the one in the jungle fowl is different than the allele found in the light brown leghorn. Research has also shown that the dominant wheaten and recessive wheaten are structurally the same. There is another piece of DNA that is determining if the allele is dominant or recessive.

The E locus is an interesting locus and is prone to mutation.

Last edited:
Birds that are wild type at the extension locus normally have a gray under color while light wheaten normally has a light wheaten to reddish under color. The hue of the under color in wheaten
birds depends on the genetic makeup of the bird.
Looking forward to expanding my knowledge as it related to genetics. This fascinates me...but it also complicates it to the point of distraction.

Any insight when the shift from wild type e+ to eWh happened in the exhibition lines? Which are all connected in the US and Canada.

I have Overton foundation birds.

All hatching out eWh and grow out with grey to salmon under color, especially noted in the males.

I really need to order the van Dort book on color genetics. Any other resources welcome.

Tell me more about your history with the SS and breeding Wappoke. Would you be kind enough to tutor me offline with genetics as it pertains to the Speckled Sussex?

Much gratitue.

Back
Top Bottom