Show turkeys

Ty gomez

Hatching
May 14, 2021
My son is Grange. He is showing market wbb. He would like to try and cross a heritage and wbb. My question is they have to have a hatch date in January and get to min wight 15lb for hen and 18 for toms. His advisor stated it would not make weight on time and the breast may not be as appealing to the judge as a full wbb. Any insights on this?

My son is Grange. He is showing market wbb. He would like to try and cross a heritage and wbb. My question is they have to have a hatch date in January and get to min wight 15lb for hen and 18 for toms. His advisor stated it would not make weight on time and the breast may not be as appealing to the judge as a full wbb. Any insights on this?
You will have to supply supplemental lighting during the winter to get the hen to lay eggs and the tom to be fertile to set eggs in December for an early January hatch.

The one time I had a successful mating with a BBW was with a Bourbon Red tom. They produced a beautiful Red Bronze tom that grew nearly as big as a BB turkey.

It may produce some really nice birds but it will put your son at a disadvantage when competing against full blooded BBs.

Back
Top Bottom