Showgirl thread- for posting pictures and discussing breed!

Well, I finally hatched my first showgirl chicks, I ordered the eggs off E-bay. Out of 13 eggs 8 hatched, 4 SG and 4 silkie. The showgirls I got are 2 partridge, 1 black (not sure it's pure black at this point), and a white. The white does not have black skin, and of course has the greatest naked neck of them all :(. So question, should I keep it and breed to a silkie or cull it? I hatched some silkies from another breeder, in hopes that I will get one good quality rooster for my SG hens. Here is a pic of the white one. I have already ordered more SG eggs from another breeder, LOL I am hooked! And here is a pic of the non related silkie chicks, I am hoping the blue one is a rooster.

to improve on the skin color breed them to silkies and not silkies you hatched with them

Well, I finally hatched my first showgirl chicks, I ordered the eggs off E-bay. Out of 13 eggs 8 hatched, 4 SG and 4 silkie. The showgirls I got are 2 partridge, 1 black (not sure it's pure black at this point), and a white. The white does not have black skin, and of course has the greatest naked neck of them all :(. So question, should I keep it and breed to a silkie or cull it? I hatched some silkies from another breeder, in hopes that I will get one good quality rooster for my SG hens. Here is a pic of the white one. I have already ordered more SG eggs from another breeder, LOL I am hooked! And here is a pic of the non related silkie chicks, I am hoping the blue one is a rooster.

you send your Nn to many jenn there lovely birds to inprove you have add silkies

Hey Jesse!! :) You coming to the Spring show in Alma this year?
clap.gif
I'm going to enter some of my silkies and showgirls...leaving the speckled sussex at home other then anything i have for sale.

They are all so cute! I am wondering if the white 2 1/2 month old baby in my avatar is a boy or a girl. Looks like a girl but acts like a boy. I may take some better pics tonight and see what yall think. There are two very small "horns" on the comb but it's barely there.

If I'm not mistaken, in the first generation (F1) cross between NN and Silkie to produce showgirls, all the non-black skin chicks are boys. There's a link to an article on the ASBC website re:breeding silkies that explains the steps.

If this chick came from a silkie x showgirl (not NNTurken) breeding, then I would cull/not breed the chick with the non-black skin.

I'll be there with family and friends. Heading down saturday night for a bonfire and setup. Depends on how much stuff I want to catch for what will be going along on birds.

I will be bringing 8 whites.... 6 cockerels, 2 pullets about 4 months old. They are culls from my growout pens though. I have another batch of chicks hatching this week and if there are any with dq's they will be heading along. Generally I only sell pet quality at the swaps. There is a mile long waiting list for anything else when I decide to part with some.

Back
Top Bottom