Showgirl thread- for posting pictures and discussing breed!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rilly10, Nov 2, 2010.

1. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:i have some realy nice buffs

Do you sell eggs?

i well be but right now hens arent laying

2. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    When wording the standard we need to be more specific about terms like 'bowties'. A judge will see the word bowtie and a) laugh b) ask what the hayfield is a bowtie? It's a chicken not a red carpet event.

Although more difficult to work with, writing the standard for homozygous silkies would be easier. The problem is that maintaining the level of middle toe feathering etc in homozygous birds seems more difficult and fewer people are working on them.

For heterozygous what will be more problematic is the placement of feathers around the wattle area ('chinstrap' is what I have heard some refer to it as). Not every bird has them... so will it be required or will it not be?

3. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:Maybe the term "bowtie" doesn't need to be used? The proposed standard that chickendales posted uses some of the text that the SOP uses regarding Naked Necks, ,"devoid of feathers, except for a permissible small tuft at front of neck nearly halfway down; skin,very smooth"

Doesn't this "permissible small tuft at front of neck nearly halfway down" refer to a bowtie? Since it is already accepted for Naked Necks maybe the same wording is fine for Showgirls.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  4. rilly10

rilly10 Clover Field Farm

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    I was thinking of just that...using what is already in place for the silkie SOP, but adding what has been accepted for the Naked Neck. I think if the wording is the same for each aspect (all silkie but the neck of the NN) It would be more readily accepted. I would not use the word "bowtie" or "chinstrap" since those are more slang for us. I would use what is in the SOP for each breed. I think beard would be more accepted, and for the bowtie...how racuda stated from the NN sop.

If we wanted to get non-bearded accepted as well it would have to be it's own separate variety sic as bearded vs non bearded silkies.

All of these have been personal preference so far, but I think we should take the most advanced variety and easily improved (as whole in the fancy) to start, and then we can add other colors/or variations.

5. WinterSkyMoonRanch

WinterSkyMoonRanch Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2011
    California
    [​IMG] I don't have any of these yet, but would love to drop by to read and learn! I think they are so stinkin' cute! Hope to get some soon! These are not apa yet are they?

6. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    I would really like to have some nice whites, btw. I like the contrast of the black skin and white plumage. I want some good ones because the Silkies that I will breed them to are pretty good. My white Silkies are from Bobbi Porto, with a little Sunshine Silkies mixed in [​IMG] I am also getting a cockerel from George this fall.

Any recommendations from where I could get good white SG eggs? I am a member of ASCB so I have access to those contacts.

I have blue and splash from Hattrick, but Nikki doesn't have whites laying now.

I agree rilly10, that whites are definitely the first color to try to get recognized, then blacks after that. That is the approach that the SCNA chose to get the Serama accepted by the ABA.

7. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:Maybe the term "bowtie" doesn't need to be used? The proposed standard that chickendales posted uses some of the text that the SOP uses regarding Naked Necks, ,"devoid of feathers, except for a permissible small tuft at front of neck nearly halfway down; skin,very smooth"

Doesn't this "permissible small tuft at front of neck nearly halfway down" refer to a bowtie? Since it is already accepted for Naked Necks maybe the same wording is fine for Showgirls.

the trem bowties dosent sound perfetional

8. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan

makeing my standard i wanted to use wording that was already exepted by the asop

9. city silkies

city silkies Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    Sheboygan Falls WI
    O love this thread, I am wondering if there are frizzle showgirls out there, I am new,
    had a thread with one neat reply on this topic. But so glad to found this.
    I have some, just need to figure out the pic thing to put up.
    Any pics?
    JiL

10. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    how did frizzle get recognised in all breeds and could that be done in showgirls\\ naked neck silkies

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by