Showgirl thread- for posting pictures and discussing breed!

My guess.

#1 boy, #2 girl, #3 ?, #4 boy, #5 girl, #6 ?, #7 girl, #8 ?, #9-11 boy

#6 I would lean toward female but i feel like it could still go either way.

2,3,5,6,7, 8 are the ones I would keep for sure. (for hens)

Last edited:
Thank you. I don't know why these birds are so confusing to me, silkies are no problem for me. These are all April to May hatchings so we should know something by now and no one is crowing. I wonder if the mature roo in the pen is dominant enough to keep the others from crowing. I noticed that in my LFs I usually don't have a crower unless it becomes dominant. Going to keep one roo out of the bunch, liking #1. #9 is too aggressive and nailed me in the process of getting the pictures.

Last edited:
Thank you. I don't know why these birds are so confusing to me, silkies are no problem for me. These are all April to May hatchings so we should know something by now and no one is crowing. I wonder if the mature roo in the pen is dominant enough to keep the others from crowing. I noticed that in my LFs I usually don't have a crower unless it becomes dominant. Going to keep one roo out of the bunch, liking #1. #9 is too aggressive and nailed me in the process of getting the pictures. 

I like #1 too :love #3 is going to be gorgeous as well, but not sure at all on gender. On the showgirls, see how the hair sweeps backwards on the boys? The girls stand up taller and more forward, with no streamers (thicker longer strands). Also more wattles coming in on boys. A pretty bunch of birds for sure :D Mine usually don't crow either if they are around an older rooster.

This is our first year breeding these birds. Got me a roo from Old Orchard Farms in Virginia. So love these little birds. Ours follow us around when they see us out and so nosy.  I have started a group on FB if anyone is interested - https://www.facebook.com/groups/273150102873818/

Requested to join as Lisa Kay.

Love the showgirls! I am breeding mine with a frizzle silkie roo to get frizzled showgirls in blue black white and splash. Then I want to put the frizzled showgirl females back with a SQ silkie roo in the Spring for half and half babies. Fun :D!

so I went back to that pet store. I took 3 The first 2 are bigger than the 3rd. I have already seen them give each other the evil eye and square off and play fight a little bit, is that a trait of young males fighting? The smaller one has a different personality altogether. Any thoughts on male or female? What color would they fall under? this is the 2nd one about the same size and this is the little one altogether
I missed the question on color. They kook blue partridge. Mhoqever they may loose a lot of color and become blue with gold leakage. They look like the got pari from one parent. Sometimes it gets clearer sometimes it completly dissapears
The boys look morw like turkens the girls more silkie. But how much more depends on your lines. Once you have seen your line mature a few times youul start to spot your own boy/girl look.
Requested to join as Lisa Kay. Love the showgirls! I am breeding mine with a frizzle silkie roo to get frizzled showgirls in blue black white and splash. Then I want to put the frizzled showgirl females back with a SQ silkie roo in the Spring for half and half babies. Fun :D!
There are a few of us working on shizzles! Mostly on facebook. Here is one of my latest generation blue.

Last edited:
Shizzles fo' shizzle. Lol. Love them. I need to post some more recent pics of mine...We call them poozles, they look like poodles --or chickapoos--with those skinny necks and curly heads and feet.

Last edited:
So I went out and followed the advice that roosters have a swept back mullet as my daughter calls their hair style. I found at least three roosters, one we are keeping. I also determined that two of the three silkies out of this pen are roosters too. If anyone is interested in any of the roosters I have for sale let me know. I have two that I am still iffy on as they are still so much smaller than the rest having come from one of my last of the summer hatches. So I have two silkie roosters out of a showgirl over a silkie.

Do these carry the showgirl gene?

If bred to a silkie, will they throw showgirl?

What if they are bred to a silkie out of the same kind of pen?

What if I breed them to a showgirl? Will this increase the chance of getting showgirls?

I have a question about hatching as well. I have noticed that I get a little over 1/2 silkie, the pen is a showgirl roo over silkie hens. It also seems that the showgirls are not as hardy. They start to hatch and don't make it out or I can hear them trying to hatch but never even get a pip. I have helped so many of these to hatch where the other birds like the silkies and LFs pop out so much easier.

So I went out and followed the advice that roosters have a swept back mullet as my daughter calls their hair style. I found at least three roosters, one we are keeping. I also determined that two of the three silkies out of this pen are roosters too. If anyone is interested in any of the roosters I have for sale let me know. I have two that I am still iffy on as they are still so much smaller than the rest having come from one of my last of the summer hatches. So I have two silkie roosters out of a showgirl over a silkie.

Do these carry the showgirl gene?

If bred to a silkie, will they throw showgirl?

What if they are bred to a silkie out of the same kind of pen?

What if I breed them to a showgirl? Will this increase the chance of getting showgirls?

I have a question about hatching as well. I have noticed that I get a little over 1/2 silkie, the pen is a showgirl roo over silkie hens. It also seems that the showgirls are not as hardy. They start to hatch and don't make it out or I can hear them trying to hatch but never even get a pip. I have helped so many of these to hatch where the other birds like the silkies and LFs pop out so much easier.

If it is a showgirl it carries the naked neck gene, but when bred to a silkie the babies will generally be half NN/ half silkie. But you want to breed them that way or if you put showgirls together the bowtie will be absent on all chicks, although they will be all SG no silkies. From what I have read and experienced myself they definitely don't hatch out themselves as well as other breeds. Especially if they have quite vaulted skulls. I stop turning mine one day earlier to give them a little extra time to position themselves, that seems to keep them from pipping on the wrong end so much. I always end up getting a bunch that pip internally too and need to help them out. Hope that helps!

Back
Top Bottom