showing chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Littlecimarron18, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Littlecimarron18

Littlecimarron18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Colorado
    so i was wondering what all u need to do to show chickens. I decided that since i am in ffa and i am always at fair, I might as well show my chickens.
    But.. ok here are some questions to start.
    Is there an age?
    does Breed matter?
    number of chickens?
    does it take alot of work to keep them clean?
    um...
    thats all i have for now,
    But any info would be greatly appreciated!

2. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    Quote:Ive never showed but I do know something, clean-yes its hard. they could destroy their feathers in a spongey box. breed, as long as its recognized and pure. number- no clue!!!

3. Littlecimarron18

Littlecimarron18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Colorado
    Thanks storm horse.
    but now i have another question, do u have to have proof of the breed?

4. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    I don't think so...I mean, you couldn't enter a Brahma and say it was a Serama.

5. LittleChickenRacingTeam

LittleChickenRacingTeam On vacation

Jan 11, 2007
    Ontario, CANADA
    I've entered just a single chook back in the day when I only owned one. You need an entry form that will list what breeds are being accepted. If your breed is not on the list, don't worry as most shows will also havve an AOV (All Other Variety) category for both bantam and standards.

Your birds need to be clean & showing no signs of illness. Some shows I attend require a certificate that the chicken has been tested negative for Salmonella/Pullorum/Typhus.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  6. ZooZoo

ZooZoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2007
    Northern New Jersey
    I show my ducks at our local fair. I was going to start showing my chickens but found out that they must get blood tested for all kinds of deseases before entering the show (only the chickens, not ducks). So i decided it was alittle too much for me. But if your really interested, go for it! As far as i know they dont require a breed certificate or anything of that sort. Good luck!

7. a2ms4chickens

a2ms4chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    My son is going to show his bantams for 4-H. He did get his birds from a friend who breeds according to the American Poultry Association Standards of Perfection.

The judges also use the Standard of Perfection when judging the birds. There are some chicken breeds that are not recognized by the APA, so you will want to check to be sure your chickens qualify.

Your best bet would be to get your chickens from a breeder, or go to an open poultry show as there are usually birds for sale.

You do need to keep your show birds separate from the other chickens. You do need to clean them and treat them for stress before and after the shows.

Also, some people are very competitive, especially if they bred the chickens themselves.

If you want to give it a try, it is kind of fun.

Good luck!!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2008
  8. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Breeders .... competitive? ..... I've actually seen two fights break out at major shows between breeders. Most people you find at shows are great, but there are some real extreme exceptions out there.

It is a lot of extra work and time. Have no doubts of that.

9. SloCrevs

SloCrevs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Central Coast, CA
    Quote:No, but they're going to know what the breed is that you enter, and if you enter it wrong, a lot of the time it just won't be judged.

10. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by