Shredded back from hawk!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MakNat, Feb 16, 2009.

1. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    My poor roo got away, but he has a nasty, nasty wound all down his back. And is limping. I don't know what to do. He is eating and drinking baby asperin water. I cage him all day in the barn and I let him sleep in the coop. For safety reasons. I put some ointment on the wound. What should I really do?? Am I just haboring to needless suffering...

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I would remove him from the flock all together for at least a couple days. You need to keep the wounds clean. You can add Poly-Vi-Sol with out iron(baby vits) to his water.

3. MakNat

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    I'm alternating the water with the baby aspiren and avian 2000. I cleaned out a 'safe' cage in the barn for him tonight. His day cage is a wire dog cage on the ground. His girls visit him all day. The cage I'm putting him 2 night ,the hens have two nesting boxes in it. Not prepared for this. Poor Roo, probably saved one of his girls!!

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    What was the ointment you put on his wound? How deep is the wound? For wounds not deep, topical neosporin (without pain relief). For much deeper he may need oral or injectible antibiotics to beat back infection. With the right treatment, it is astonishing what they can recover from.
    Great nutrition right now, warm stress free comfortable surroundings - good that he can see his girls, especially if he's like mine where he would do nothing but worry if he didn't.
    Extra protein....
    JJ

5. MakNat

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    The wound is not deep. It is ripped skin down his back. Not bleeding much. It looks as if it is draining. Generick triple antibiotic. It was really hard to clip his feathers out of the way. He still needs allot of cleaning. He fights me. I gave him eggs today.
    Should I give him water antibiotics?

6. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I would give him antiobiotics. Since is sound like a bad wound to help ward off any infection. Can you post a pic?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by