shredded newspaper?

6chickens in St. Charles

Songster
10 Years
Mar 25, 2009
St. Charles, IL
Is it OK to use shredded newspaper for coop bedding? Then to the compost heap?

I was afraid somebody said once that it might have toxic chemicals in the paper or ink.

thinking of picking up a shredder today, to save money overall on pine chips. Hoping to mix pine chips with newspaper.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Many years ago, when I had a hamster, my mom put newspaper in after changing their cage, they nibbled on it and died from the ink poisoning.

6chickens in St. Charles :

Is it OK to use shredded newspaper for coop bedding? Then to the compost heap?

I was afraid somebody said once that it might have toxic chemicals in the paper or ink.

thinking of picking up a shredder today, to save money overall on pine chips. Hoping to mix pine chips with newspaper.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Most newspapers today use soy based (non-toxic) inks. Mine does, and I have verified that with the company. Bought a shredder and am doing exactly what you're thinking of. I read it, shred it, they poop on it, I compost it.
thumbsup.gif

I was actually composting the newspaper before I got chickens, grinding it up with an auger, after soaking in water overnight. Works much better shredded, the mush before is still in clumps. Plus, it's mixed with chicken manure so
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

So, I'm keeping my papers out of the landfill, providing my chickens with soft dry bedding, and eventually returning my high quality organic waste into my own soil for gardening purposes. I highly recommend it!
Oh, by the way, I do not use the shiny papers used in ads. I have read they contain some type of additive to make them shiny. I have not yet confirmed either way, but until I do, keeping those out of the mix.​

Quote:
Most newspapers today use soy based (non-toxic) inks. Mine does, and I have verified that with the company. Bought a shredder and am doing exactly what you're thinking of. I read it, shred it, they poop on it, I compost it.
thumbsup.gif

I was actually composting the newspaper before I got chickens, grinding it up with an auger, after soaking in water overnight. Works much better shredded, the mush before is still in clumps. Plus, it's mixed with chicken manure so
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

So, I'm keeping my papers out of the landfill, providing my chickens with soft dry bedding, and eventually returning my high quality organic waste into my own soil for gardening purposes. I highly recommend it!
Oh, by the way, I do not use the shiny papers used in ads. I have read they contain some type of additive to make them shiny. I have not yet confirmed either way, but until I do, keeping those out of the mix.

I think I'll call my newspapers now! Thats a great idea, Thanks!

i use shredded paper for my quail..
the b/w news pages are fine , just use those and recycle the colored pages .
Also ,garden worms really like the newspaper and turn it into lovely garden soil pretty quick .
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
OKAY, this leads to the funny part about composting with backyard chickens. My chickens do their diggin' to China in the compost heap, and they pretty much eat all the worms. So in my yard, vermicomposting may need its own fenced-off space!
lol.png

On the other hand, the fluffiness of my compost is made possible by the diggin' chickens. I'll have to make A Great Big Decision About Composting. Maybe I'll have more than one compost heap..............I know the redworms are important.............I know the fluffiness is important, and it looks and smells so good..............

I have confirmed through my newspaper company (actually a friend of mine is in charge of printing), that both the color and b/w inks are soy based, non toxic inks, and have been for a while.
As for the compost pile, I don't seem to get many worms in mine, but even my 12.5 week old chickens don't care for worms when they do find one, maybe when they're older? I do think though, just the fact they are digging/pooping in it daily is a very good thing
wink.png

There is however, some type of a grub that they find every so often. Not sure what type of grub, but the chickens LOVE them lol

I use the newspapers shredded for my rabbit cages as liter, and in my nest boxes, and in the floor. I cut the papers, but need to invest in a shredder. I do this while watching tv or on a raining day when I can't do much work outside.

Quote:
do you shred it yourself? my goal is to shred it both ways to wind up with confetti, much the size of woodchips. Then mix em together, wont that smell nice? The confetti paper will absorb moisture, the woodchips will keep it fluffy.............

Oooh,..I get so excited over my compost pile! I have rosebushes all picked out................."Blue Girl" teas.......................

I've tried shredded office paper as litter before.

Dun%20Hagan%20chicken%20yard%20circa%202007%20or%202008.jpg

For inside the roosthouse where it doesn't get wet much it worked pretty well. I think the crosscut stuff works better than the stuff that just gets cut into long strips as it's easier to fork out again when the roosthouse needs cleaning.

For outdoors it worked well enough until the rainy season started. Between being wet, the birds scratching in it, and the manure supplying nitrogen it would disappear seemingly as fast as I could bring another load home.

Used it for nest box litter as well. By itself it eventually matted down more than I liked. Mixed with pine shavings (hay may work as well) it did OK.

Shredded paper liberally laced with plenty of manure tilled into a garden, watered well, then allowed to decay for about a month or so makes a very nice garden.

Back
Top Bottom