Shredded paper for bedding?

NJbirdlover

Songster
10 Years
Mar 16, 2009
Salem County, NJ
I know that a lot of people use pine chips as bedding in their brooder but does anyone use shredded paper? Is this ok to use? I can get plenty of shredded paper at work and figured I would save a dollar where I can but not at the expense of my chicks (coming 1st week in May!)

~Lisa

wife to great man, mom to 2 girls (7 & 11), 1 himmie rabbit "Oreo", 1 guinea pig "Buddy", 1 cat "Marty", 6 fish. Waiting for 3 RIR, 2 Buff Orp's, 2 EE's and 2 BR's all on our 5 acre wanna- be- farm.

Last edited:
I'd like to hear people's opinions too! I googled online, and it said shredded paper works, and that's what I have access too! I use shredded paper in my regular compost pile and in my worm tower. I'm always drowning in old bills, junk mail, etc!

I have used shredded paper from work and had no problems. It actually is easier to deal with and the babies don't seem to want to eat it! It also absorbs very well and composts well when you are done with it too!
thumbsup.gif

I haven't used it in our brooder (I prefer paper towels), but I do use it in the kennels when we have to quarantine a bird for whatever reason. Works great for short periods of time, but after too many days the paper tends to mash together because of any dampness and doesn't dry well.

I think shredded paper will be okay, i know some say not to use newspaper but thats what we been using and no problems, and fast clean-up, plus the store(orchilens) we bought are chicks at used newspaper on all the chicks when we went to go buy some.

I'm glad to see this. We have lots of shredded paper too, and that's what I use in my rabbits' litterboxes. It would be great to be able to use that for the chicks, too!

I'm interested in whether this works for you- ours ate every sliver they could before we stopped them and tried something else. Particularly if it got wet-- then it was like candy!

I almost did the shredded paper, but decided (for now) to use the pine shavings.

One question for those that do use it ... do you replace all the shredded paper at once or pick out the soiled spots? I was thinking that pulling out individual soiled spots would be a bit of a pain since the papers are all inter-twined.

Scott

Back
Top Bottom