"Shrink wrap" vs. "Sticky chick"?

Quote:
Boy, I still don't quite get all of it..... WHEN can a chick become shrink wrapped? Is it after the internal pip but before external pip? When a chick never breaks into the air sack, is that considered a quitter?

Quote:
WHEN can a chick become shrink wrapped? Is it after the internal pip but before external pip?
It can happen slowly anytime but can happen very fast after external pip.

When a chick never breaks into the air sack, is that considered a quitter?
Yes. It is sometimes called drowning which may or may not be accurate cause there are lots of things that can cause it.

Last edited:
I think it is also important to remember the term lockdown was invented by and for the user's of the little cheap styrobators, as folks with better real incubators rarley have this problem, I know I have never had the issues spoke of here, and it is important for folks to know it is not a term used in cabinet incubator circles.
WTS I think there are some very good point's of discussion made here and great illistrations, and I now it will help the folks with those Bators.

AL

Whether my terminology or even my observations are correct, here is what I observed in my Easter hatch and eggtopsies.

The forced air ran dry twice during the first 18 days. Many eggs from it [hatched in the still air] that failed to pip had a dead chick in the unpiped membrane and occupied only the bottom 1/2 of the egg; I say shrink wrapped. Some pipped pretty low and stopped; also shrink wrapped, in my terminology.

Humidity spiked high in the still air hatcher soon after the first few chicks were out or zipping, and starting with that spike, zippers either quit early or took awhile and came out "gooie" with pieces of membrane still on them; I say sticky, and caused by too high humidity during hatch.

Some appeared to have a combination of shrink wrap and sticky, probably from being first too dry, then too wet; shrink wrapped and sticky to me.

Last edited:
oh man... i guess i stickied my hatches... i incubated at 25% and locked down at 65% and after pip, they got sticky and stuck...
sad.png
i don't know what to do now... my friend (neighbor) is incubating now, gonna see how his hatch goes... i fire up my incubator this weekend... i don't know what to try now...

Oh my gosh! This thread is scaring me. It's my first time and my silkies are on day 19 now. With all that can go wrong how can it possibly go right? I thought I was okay at 40 - 45% humidity but when I did lockdown last night my water was completely dry. Now the humidity is up to 55% in the incubator. I hope I dont have any shrink wrapping or sticky chicks.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom