Shrink wraped

zazouse

Crowing
10 Years
Sep 7, 2009
Southeast texas
Yesterday i assisted a chick out of an unpipped shell after 30 hours of hearing it chirp and to my suprise it was shrink wrapped, i had another egg that was on day 27 and had not seen any movement sense the day before and i think the egg was from the same hen as the shell was very very hard to see inside just like the other, anyhow i decided to make a hole and check it and to my surprise it too was shrink wrapped and had not even pipped externally, needless to say it died in the shell.
Anyone ever had this happen to them before ? sure will make you second guess yourself on weather to assist or not.
Guess from now on i am going to go with my gut and not worry about how many days it has been the other 4 hatched without a problem but these two have me wondering what the heck.

Last edited:
Sorry about your little guy, Zaz.
sad.png

I feel very lucky that our gals just hatch their own eggs, and I don't have to make life-or-death egg-helping decisions.

Sorry for your loss...
hugs.gif

Knowing when to help or not is something I struggle with and have a few right now that I'm tempted to help, but don't know if I should. Heck, how many people lose them when they're 1/4 zipped? Which is what happened to one of mine today.

-Kathy

Zaz, it's never easy hatching peas as we here know. If I happen to see a chick broken thru the airsack,if it's not pipped 24 hrs later, I then poke a hole in the big end and check. At least it won't suffocate if it's rather weak. But to have a peachick shring wrap before pipping is something I've never had happen. My first group of eggs that was incubated this spring, after a few weeks I noticed a few of them was extremely light weight wize. No hairline cracks(as if laid while hen was on a perch) was visible,I don't know why this happened. These eggs was normal size and weight when first put inside but how they evaporated to less than half their weights is wierd. Of course none hatched and none was fertile either.
Only way shrink wrapping can occur is if the membrane dries out thru evaporation. Perhaps since the shells was thick,the membranes are thinner? No cracks in the second egg?

Zaz, it's never easy hatching peas as we here know. If I happen to see a chick broken thru the airsack,if it's not pipped 24 hrs later, I then poke a hole in the big end and check. At least it won't suffocate if it's rather weak. But to have a peachick shring wrap before pipping is something I've never had happen. My first group of eggs that was incubated this spring, after a few weeks I noticed a few of them was extremely light weight wize. No hairline cracks(as if laid while hen was on a perch) was visible,I don't know why this happened. These eggs was normal size and weight when first put inside but how they evaporated to less than half their weights is wierd. Of course none hatched and none was fertile either.
Only way shrink wrapping can occur is if the membrane dries out thru evaporation. Perhaps since the shells was thick,the membranes are thinner? No cracks in the second egg?
What is weird Frenchy is the chick that i could not save cause it was to late had no tear in the sack it was totally shrink wrapped and the shell had not even been breached to let air in so i do not know how this happens that is the reason i posted this to see if any seasoned pea hatchers ever seen this, these shells were also the hardest to see threw, they looked almost orange when shining the light threw them but really were not any hard or thicker than the other shells i have seen in the past 2 years, just has me scratching my head as to how they can shrink wrap without pipping a hole for air
idunno.gif
and absolutly no cracks

Last night was hell, lol. Have some pictures of chicks that were shrink-wrapped and couldn't reach the shell. I'll post those when I'm on a real machine and not this stupid iPad, lol.

-Kathy

Last night was hell, lol. Have some pictures of chicks that were shrink-wrapped and couldn't reach the shell. I'll post those when I'm on a real machine and not this stupid iPad, lol.

-Kathy

That is exactly how I felt after my hatch, this year it is not coming easy. I'm almost scared to think about our shipped eggs hatching.

Back
Top Bottom