Sicilian Buttercup 2 months old Hen or Roo?

CritterHill

Crowing
15 Years
Feb 3, 2008
SE PA
Ok folks, I was SURE this chicken was a girl because she has the speckled feathers of a female Sicilian Buttercup. But she's been crowing for 2 days now! She's about 2 months old or so and has always been the most curious and troublesome of the bunch. I had my suspicions she was a roo, but when her feathers came in, I was sure she was a hen, now she's crowing?

Can pullets crow? Can male Buttercups have speckled feathers?

Well, that figures. Here's hoping he is a nice one. My kids like to go out and catch and play with the chickens all the time. If he even looks sideways at the kids, he's outta here!

I'll keep an eye on him in the next couple months and see what happens as far as new feathers and behaviors. Thanks.

Another interesting fact, my sister (who has raised a bunch of Buttercups) said that she has had several Buttercup hens crow and take on rooster characteristics moreso than any other breed she has kept.

So that gives me a little hope. I'll keep an eye on her and as long as s/he is sweet and nice, s/he gets to stay, eggs or no.

Another interesting fact, my sister (who has raised a bunch of Buttercups) said that she has had several Buttercup hens crow and take on rooster characteristics moreso than any other breed she has kept.

So that gives me a little hope. I'll keep an eye on her and as long as s/he is sweet and nice, s/he gets to stay, eggs or no.

That's interesting! I had a friend that had a "rooster" that laid eggs--I don't remember what breed she was.

That little chick looks almost exactly like my ~9 week old buttercup chick that I'm pretty sure is a roo. This is my first time with Buttercups, but from what I understand, both males and females have "juvenile" feathers that look like the hen feathers, then they get their "adult" feathers which look like the grown ups. If I lift up my chick's feathers and look at the pin feathers that are coming in on its back, they are all burnt orange-ish red. And my chick is getting the black tail feathers, like your chick has.

Also search for the thread called "sicilian buttercup update" - that one turned out to be a roo.

I will post pics of mine later today when I'm on my home computer.

Yeah, "she" was doing a rooster dance for one of our Seramas today
roll.png

I suspect you are right.

Yeah, "she" was doing a rooster dance for one of our Seramas today
roll.png

I suspect you are right.
I know it's been 7 years, but did she turn out to be a he? I have an 8 week old Sicilian Buttercup that looks just like your picture, and has the same behaviors you described. I found your thread while trying to find out if the chicks look the same. I ordered 3, one died almost immediately and the other doesn't have a comb or wattles yet. Really hoping she is not a he as I don't want any roosters again.

Back
Top Bottom