Sick 3 yr old hen - vomiting brown and sleeping heavy after emptying liquid

PlumPerfectChickens

In the Brooder
Jul 26, 2021
I’m at a loss. My RIR who is quite sassy was found in the roosting spot standing alone. I picked her up because she looked off and she drooled liquid. I softly massaged her crop and more liquid - this time brown. I held her upside down and got probably 1.5 cups of liquid out. She perked up a bit after. I wrapped in towel and brought inside. She is sleeping and still breathing. Doesn’t seem to be gurgling right now. Should I let her sleep? Give ACV? Yeast medication? Or leave alone till morning?

Since you've already got the crop mostly empty I'd go ahead and start treatment for sour crop with an antifungal if you have one on hand. Generally the sooner you start treatment the better.

i would probably treat for sour crop and make her barf more if she's drooling since it seemed to help - make sure she doesn't choke. seems like she maybe ate something bad.

I’m at a loss. My RIR who is quite sassy was found in the roosting spot standing alone. I picked her up because she looked off and she drooled liquid. I softly massaged her crop and more liquid - this time brown. I held her upside down and got probably 1.5 cups of liquid out. She perked up a bit after. I wrapped in towel and brought inside. She is sleeping and still breathing. Doesn’t seem to be gurgling right now. Should I let her sleep? Give ACV? Yeast medication? Or leave alone till morning?
If you have photos of her and her poop that would be good.

Is she pooping at all?

When was her last egg, has she had any trouble laying eggs recently?
Any bloat or feeling of fluid between her legs below the vent?
Does she have any lice or mites?
When was the last time she was dewormed?

It does sound like she's having some crop problems; I'd re-check the crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink overnight.
Often a crop problem is a symptom of an underlying condition. Reproductive disorders, worms, infection, etc. are few common issues seen when a crop is slowing down.

See that she's staying hydrated and make some food available to her during waking hours.
Take care vomiting a chicken, they can easily aspirate fluids.

The article below outlines treatments for dealing with crop issues. These are the methods I use when treating my hens.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Back
Top Bottom