Sick 6 week old chick... many symptoms

Update:
He’s progressed so fast! Last night he slept with his feet under him for the first time in 2 months! When I went to feed him this morning he was standing in his cage!
Below is a link to a short clip of him standing and walking a few steps.
New video here
7FAC3238-7208-422E-94E1-D694C69A1F96.jpeg
1A64522A-B789-4E0A-81C6-8C36D1CABDCE.jpeg

@Wyorp Rock

We won’t have to worry about him reproducing, we don’t have other chickens and when we get him a companion it will be a silkie cross rooster.
Update:
He’s progressed so fast! Last night he slept with his feet under him for the first time in 2 months! When I went to feed him this morning he was standing in his cage!
Below is a link to a short clip of him standing and walking a few steps.
New video here View attachment 2349257View attachment 2349258
@Wyorp Rock
I'm glad he's doing better!
I would be hesitant to put a rooster with him. If you want him to have company, go ahead and get a pullet or hen, just collect the eggs and don't hatch any.

I thought a pullet would be better too, but a couple people on here said I should get another rooster because they said unless a rooster has multiple hens he isn’t happy.
There is a chance Flynn is a girl anyway, so I may be able to get the companion I have in mind anyway😂

I thought a pullet would be better too, but a couple people on here said I should get another rooster because they said unless a rooster has multiple hens he isn’t happy.
There is a chance Flynn is a girl anyway, so I may be able to get the companion I have in mind anyway😂
Up to you.
I don't see why he wouldn't be happy with one hen.
I keep a pair and it works fine - a lot depends on breed, space and personality.

Personally, to be honest, regardless if it turns out Flynn is a she or he, I would not put a rooster with him/her. Flynn is handicapped. A rooster may abuse him. A hen may abuse him. Sometimes chickens are not so nice to each other especially if something is wrong with one. I have seen them be best buddies, but I have also seen the not nice side of things too.

Up to you.
I don't see why he wouldn't be happy with one hen.
I keep a pair and it works fine - a lot depends on breed, space and personality.

Personally, to be honest, regardless if it turns out Flynn is a she or he, I would not put a rooster with him/her. Flynn is handicapped. A rooster may abuse him. A hen may abuse him. Sometimes chickens are not so nice to each other especially if something is wrong with one. I have seen them be best buddies, but I have also seen the not nice side of things too.
I have a favorite hen in the house right now. The dog bite her but the wound was healing very nicely and I put her in a separate cage outside, then in with the rest when she chose to go in with them. The next day the whole flock jumped on her to kill her. No open wounds but she is super traumatized. Quit eating or drinking. I tried everything but today she ate some FF, so I am getting hopeful. I may get her a juvenile to be her buddy in a separate area. Geeezzz I’m not sure I can ever trust the flock with her. I returned another injuries chicken to that flock a year ago after being in the house a long time and they welcomed her back, but this one they want to kill. I won’t put her through that again. Sad.

I have a favorite hen in the house right now. The dog bite her but the wound was healing very nicely and I put her in a separate cage outside, then in with the rest when she chose to go in with them. The next day the whole flock jumped on her to kill her. No open wounds but she is super traumatized. Quit eating or drinking. I tried everything but today she ate some FF, so I am getting hopeful. I may get her a juvenile to be her buddy in a separate area. Geeezzz I’m not sure I can ever trust the flock with her. I returned another injuries chicken to that flock a year ago after being in the house a long time and they welcomed her back, but this one they want to kill. I won’t put her through that again. Sad.
You just never know how they are going to act. I try not to remove a bird out of sight unless I absolutely have to. If I feel one needs some type of protection, I set up a kennel inside the run so they can all still be "together". If it's a rooster then moving them around is not so bad, but for a hen especially if she's lower in the pecking order it can be brutal trying to get them back with the flock.

You just never know how they are going to act. I try not to remove a bird out of sight unless I absolutely have to. If I feel one needs some type of protection, I set up a kennel inside the run so they can all still be "together". If it's a rooster then moving them around is not so bad, but for a hen especially if she's lower in the pecking order it can be brutal trying to get them back with the flock.
That’s exactly what happened eventually when she’s stronger and walking better I will put her in a separate coop with separate run in the chicken yard. Someone suggested getting her a younger docile hen to make friends with her and try them together with the flock. I will definitely try that. She is low in the order because she was originally introduced as a single hen. My others were introduced as pairs or more raised/brooded together. She was raised as a pair by my daughter but one was a roo we rejones, so she went into the flock as a single. I have two reds. Every red I’ve ever had was an a**.

I know they can be mean, in fact his flock tried to kill him as well, before I took him out and isolated him. I’m planning on him meeting a few chickens I have in mind that I know to be nice, and go from there. I’d like him to have a buddy this winter, but I won’t just put him in with a potentially mean coop mate. Do you think it would be alright if he went through the winter without a buddy and I bought a chick in the spring that would grow up with him? I feel bad if he was by himself. Now that he can move, he likes to lay in my lap and snuggle up to a stuffed duck at night.

Back
Top Bottom