Sick 7 Year Old Hen

here.. keep this in mind. you might need it.

mix 5 tsp of molasses with 6 tsp apple sauce and mix with plain yogurt until lightish brown... feed her apples dipped in it if she won't take it. i'm typing better directions, hold on.

here's a quote from my actual thread where i had a list of ingredients i wrote down..

Directions: take 1/4th of a cup of molasses and put it in a cup. 2: add another 1/4 cup of yogurt. if your poultry wont at least take a bite, dip apple slices into the mix and feed that to him/her. this concoction seems to free up her guts from whatever is in there, and gives her energy.

Has she been laying? I have hens laying regularly at seven and eight. But they are all gung ho in spring, and then lose interest as summer really gets going. Your hen may have a stuck egg. Were any of her eggs thin shelled or shell-less? This would lend more weight to an egg being her issue as shell-less eggs are difficult to pass.

If she's been laying, it won't hurt to give her a calcium tablet to increase and strengthen contractions. This really does help in most cases to goose the sluggish egg and get it out.

I use calcium citrate but any calcium concentrated supplement will work as long as it's at least 500mg.

Has she been laying? I have hens laying regularly at seven and eight. But they are all gung ho in spring, and then lose interest as summer really gets going. Your hen may have a stuck egg. Were any of her eggs thin shelled or shell-less? This would lend more weight to an egg being her issue as shell-less eggs are difficult to pass.

If she's been laying, it won't hurt to give her a calcium tablet to increase and strengthen contractions. This really does help in most cases to goose the sluggish egg and get it out.

I use calcium citrate but any calcium concentrated supplement will work as long as it's at least 500mg.
👆he's the professional.. listen to him

I really don't know if she has been laying. I think she might have been. Could she be egg bound?
Okay, sorry, I have to get to sleep. I'll update in the morning.

How old is she? Flash, it would be helpful to know if the crop emptied overnight, and to watch to see if she is laying eggs. Have you seen any abnormal or shell-less eggs? You can insert a clean finger into her vent 2 inches to feel for a stuck egg, to rule that out. What are you feeding? I would not be giving her any type of molasses or other flush right now, since you don’t know what is wrong. Check her body for any moving bugs (lice or mites or their eggs.) Get her drinking water or some electrolytes by holding a small cup or lid up to her beak often. It might be good to separate her inside a dog crate on puppy pads or a towel to see what her droppings look like. Consider worming her if you haven’t recently.

Back
Top Bottom