Sick after cleaning coop?

May 9, 2020
Tampa, Florida
I wasn't sure if this was the right topic to post this in, but I have a concern. About a week ago, I was cleaning the coop. I scraped all the boards and decided to dig down and get all those layers of old hay out (ground was getting too high for the door). I went through 3 masks while cleaning because they kept getting too dirty and wet with sweat (it was really hot out). I often found myself needing to go out and gasp for air because stuff was still getting through the mask. It got in my eyes (and mouth too somehow).

That night, after a shower, I was laying in bed and noticed it suddenly became really hard to breathe. Felt like my lungs closed. My chest, neck and shoulders hurt so bad, which I know is normal for all that work, but I could barely breathe and my lungs+heart hurt SO bad. I kept coughing up loads of phlegm and wheezed all night, hardly getting any sleep. I felt like there was a lump in my throat and an air bubble in the middle of my chest and it kept making me unable to breathe. It was very scary for me because my lung pain and heart palpitations were so extreme. Haven't had insurance, so I couldn't go to the hospital. I thought I was going to die, honest to God. It was like this for about 3 days then finally started getting better.

About a week has passed and I notice some really strange things. I still feel the air bubble often and have to shake my head a few times to make it go away in order to breathe. I think all the phlegm is gone but it comes up occasionally. Some times when I cough the phlegm that randomly shows up, it tastes bloody. I've noticed now my whole body is aching and hurts all over. I keep getting uncomfortable and sometimes painful spasms in my legs. It doesn't matter if I'm sitting, standing, walking or laying, they just show up and come out of nowhere.

Is there any illnesses that you can get from cleaning coops that would cause this? I'm concerned that these symptoms still haven't gone away. I've taken meds every day for the pain but they don't seem to help. I also use vapor for my allergies but it doesn't seem to be helping either. My muscles seem to be getting weaker and hurt more by the day (the original muscle pain sites from the first 3 days have gotten better, but now the pain around my whole body is an equal ache, if that makes sense?) I'm only 19 and never have had serious health issues

edit: some things I forgot to add that is currently happening
-small headache all day
-no fever
-joint pain
-tingling in upper back
-fast heartbeat and heart pain
-problems with sleep positions (sleep on side= neck spasms | sleep on back = fast heartbeat with palpitations and hard to breathe)
-occasional pain when trying to breathe
-cramp/spasms randomly anywhere

Last edited:
You can get really sick from cleaning chicken coops. I'm sorry.
We wear masks and take frequent breaks to get fresh air. I also have slight asthma and use an inhaler as needed.
You may have walking pneumonia and will need to go to the doctor to get antibiotics would be my guess.
Yeah, that sucks, I wish I had taken better precautions. I have cleaned the boards in the past with no mask and only coughed/wheezed phlegm a little bit for 2 days. Other than that, I was fine. But this time was probably different since I was digging up the hay. There were layers of wet hay alternating with dusty dirt (poop and old food). I looked up walking pneumonia and that sounds pretty accurate. I also read something that it could have to do with mycoplasma. All my birds have mycoplasma, but I once read it can't or is rare (i forgot) to be spread to humans. Do you think that could that have happened? I will try to get to a doctor tomorrow

Oh that's not good :( I haven't gone yet. We just figured out my insurance plan today so I should be able to get in tomorrow

edit: never mind because my mom is now saying I "obviously" have covid and won't let me go
No not Covid, and not to be dramatic but you could lose some function of your lungs if you don't go. I found what i was talking about Histoplasmosis

Oh that's not good :( I haven't gone yet. We just figured out my insurance plan today so I should be able to get in tomorrow

edit: never mind because my mom is now saying I "obviously" have covid and won't let me go
Im scratching my head over that one.
I assume you are not at liberty to take yourself to the doctor? So sorry! :hugs

Oh no, I'm so sorry you're ill! I used deep litter in my coop for a while, forgot a mask once, ended up inhaling zeolite/shavings/DE/poop dust and feeling horrible for about a week. Very hoarse, dry throat, raspy, deep coughing, that same taste when I coughed. It ended up going away by itself very slowly, but yours sounds much more serious. I also have a small coop. I'd go to the doctor ASAP- that indeed does not sound like COVID.

No not Covid, and not to be dramatic but you could lose some function of your lungs if you don't go. I found what i was talking about Histoplasmosis
Yeah I know it's not, she's just being ridiculous lol. I will go research histoplasmosis rn

edit: i read about it and it says symptoms take 3-17 days to show up. mine showed up right away

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom