Sick baby Chick

BackwoodsGAMEn

Hatching
Apr 21, 2020
20200421_172738.jpg

I have a baby chick that won't open her right eye. She is really 3 weeks old and she is acting really lethargic. I separated her from the others to keep a closer eye on her. Does anyone have any ideas or solutions. I purchase my chicks from Agway or Tractor supply. I've had her for 3 weeks and just noticed today 4/21/20 the situation in the picture. I just moved her by herself to help keep an eye on her habits. I have bought and raised chicks in the past and never had any problems with them in the past. I have chicks in the house like had others and never had a problem with any others. Could you tell or have ideas by looking at the picture.

Last edited:
Where did you get your chicks from; hatchery/shipping or feed store or incubator hatch?
What are you feeding your chicks?
How are you brooding? Pic of set up? Temp?
Is it eating/drinking/pooping?
Where are you located? You may want to up date your profile with your location.
Thinking it won't hurt to start your chicks on Corid, purchased at feed store.

It might be a case of failure to thrive for some reason. She probably has not been eating as much as other chicks, so not growing. At 3 weeks she might have coccidiosis, so best to go ahead and treat for that just in case. Corid is at feed stores in liquid or powder. Dosage is 1/2 tsp of the liquid per quart of water for 5 to 7 days. Until you get those started as soon as possible, I would get her drinking some electrolyte water, such as SaVEAchick or even lukewarm pedialyte or gatorade. I would put a little dab of Terramycin eye ointment or Vetericyn eye gel into her eye to see if that has an effect.

Back
Top Bottom