1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick Baby Chicks???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gumpsgirl, Mar 26, 2008.

1. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I have 12 RIR chicks that are a week old. Two of them have been having a foamy looking poo. Now it looks like some might have some blood in their poo. The poo spots after they dry have a dark red ring around them and some of the poo is dk. brown in color and runny. That is why I am thinking blood. Would it be a bad thing to feed the chicks a medicated starter food and give them an antibiotic in the water at the same time? I don't want to make any problems worse by over medicating! Thank you!

Here's a little bit more info. All of the poo from the chicks is not foamy or runny. Only some. Am I just worrying about nothing? They are so cute and sweet I don't want anything to go wrong.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Brown creamy poo's are normal and are called cecal poo. Each chick will have a dozen or so a day if not more. On ocassion they can have foamy poo too. Are they ALL foamy and creamy? Or just a few. Can you tell us more about how they are being raised? Are they on soil or in a brooder? If they have contact with the soil, and you are sure you see blood in the droppings, they may have a large cocci load which can be treated with a cocciostidant like sulmet or amprolium. Also, what are they eating? Do they get treats?

Please don't give antibiotics if you don't know they have a bacterial infection or a risk of infection, such as a dog bite or injury. That is what causes resistant strains that you can't kill when you really need to do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by