Sick baby - need advice quickly.

amberkeel

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 20, 2013
I have a baby chick dilemma. I have a two week old black copper maran who has been healthy the entire time. I just went to check on her and found her lethargic and wings spread out slightly. When I picked her up, there was what I thought was water across her face. I then noticed her crop area was ballooned and swollen. I massaged it and out of her mouth came this thick clear, saliva (bubbly). I repeated the massage and again out came some of this goop. Since then I have taken her food away and given her a bit of yogurt. Is this sour crop? Isn't it a bit early for her to get sour crop? Any help on treatment would be appreciated. She only has one little buddy that is smaller then her, and I am still keeping them together, I hesitated to separate them into singular lonely chicks. Please advise if you can.

-Amber

diamond3girl

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 15, 2013
WA
awwww Amber can u ring a vet for verbal advice? i cant help but the other day i had a 1day old attacked by its mum and bleeding from around both eyes... my vet willingly gave awsum advise over the phone via the receptionist. praying alls ok xxx

amberkeel

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 20, 2013
Thank you diamond3girl. I appreciate your reply :) after a day of feeding her yogurt and massaging her crop, she appears to be back to normal! I have no idea what might have happened, but lets hope it has completely corrected itself. Thanks again for the advice! I will keep the vet in mind for future. I really wouldnt have thought of that suggestion as they arent your typical "pet" animal. Have a great day!

Top Bottom