Sick Barred Rock please help!!!!

I do have a scale if I need to use it. How exactly would you measure a milligram?

You would use a one ml (cc) syringe. One ml of paste has 100mg of fenbendazole, so 1/2 syringe (0.5ml) has 50mg fenbendazole. You said you have one that weighs 1 pound, right? This is the formula I use.

Weight in pounds divided by 2.2 (converts to kg) times the mg per kg you want to use divided by the number of mg in one ml. So the formula for a one pound bird look like this:

1 / 2.2 x 50 / 100 = 0.23ml of paste(I would round up to 0.25ml)

A five pound bird looks like this:
5 / 2.2 x 50 /100 = 1.14ml of paste

Make sense?

I found an eyedropper that has mL on it. So that'll work? I'll see what I can do. But anyway I thought I'd update about Dodo. She is much, much better. She's walking and running and she ruffled her feathers this morning for the first time since Tuesday. She's eating more but she does need to gain some weight back. I have one other chicken, which is my Silkie hen, Tanner, who is still lethargic but she's never been really energetic anyway but she's never been like this. But I'm seeing improvement in her too. Haven't found any more super green poo and what I did find is mostly normal. Dodo has become my baby over the past few days. Love her to death. Never going to make this mistake again.

You would use a one ml (cc) syringe. One ml of paste has 100mg of fenbendazole, so 1/2 syringe (0.5ml) has 50mg fenbendazole. You said you have one that weighs 1 pound, right? This is the formula I use.

Weight in pounds divided by 2.2 (converts to kg) times the mg per kg you want to use divided by the number of mg in one ml. So the formula for a one pound bird look like this:

1 / 2.2 x 50 / 100 = 0.23ml of paste(I would round up to 0.25ml)

A five pound bird looks like this:
5 / 2.2 x 50 /100 = 1.14ml of paste

Make sense?
It makes some sense. I think I get it anyway. Thanks for the info!

How about give 0.25ml per pound, that should make it easier, right? Or let me know how much some of them weigh and I'll calculate the doses for you. FYI, a full sized Rhode Island Red or Barred Rock would get about 1.5ml or three of the large pea sized blobs.
big_smile.png
Less might work, but that's what I use when I do it.

-Kathy

• Do not do if your bird is molting.
  • Choose your mg/kg of fenbendazole, liquid or paste. I do 50mg/kg which is 0.5ml per 2.2 pounds.

From:http://www.hopkinslivestock.com/oral_dosing_article.htm
The hole at the back of the tongue is the trachea - Nothing should ever go in there!

• Catch and weigh your bird (weight shown is grams - in pounds he's 7.678 pounds)

• Calculate dose and prepare one or more syringes. Please note that this method will work for those who use a 1cc/ml syringe. Anything larger is too big and IMNSHO, not safe!

Please note that I was the one holding the bird and taking the pictures, please use both hands!
  • Hold bird - I like to sit with my thighs parallel to the ground, feet firmly on ground and the bird in my lap. I hold it gently, but firmly and grab the head.

• Open mouth and wait for bird to relax.

• Insert syringe - I like to insert from left to right, across the tongue, behind the trachea, into the oesophagus. Again, wait for the bird to relax.

• Give wormer

• Repeat in ten days.

-Kathy

Last edited:
That is helpful. I'll give it to them in the morning. I couldn't find a 1 milliliter syringe. No store around me carries it so I had to get a 5 mL but I'll be extra careful about the dosage.
How about give 0.25ml per pound, that should make it easier, right? Or let me know how much some of them weigh and I'll calculate the doses for you. FYI, a full sized Rhode Island Red or Barred Rock would get about 1.5ml or three of the large pea sized blobs.
big_smile.png
Less might work, but that's what I use when I do it.

-Kathy

I think I get it now lol. I didn't know they had a hole behind their tongues! That is so creepy. I'll make sure to do it right. And can I incubate or eat the eggs?

That is helpful. I'll give it to them in the morning. I couldn't find a 1 milliliter syringe. No store around me carries it so I had to get a 5 mL but I'll be extra careful about the dosage.
Quote: You aren't supposed to eat the eggs and some people say that you shouldn't incubate them , but I have incubated them and a haven't had any issues doing it. Call a pharmacy and ask them if they have a 1ml *oral* dosing syringe.

-Kathy

Well I lost my little 1 pound chicken (Mottled Cochin) this morning. Something took her head off and she was missing a bunch of feathers. It does make medicating all of them a little easier but we're all so upset. Don't know what did it. Sad, sad, sad. :(

Back
Top Bottom