Sick birds-lost one already

ES4me

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2016
SC
My little Buff roo died yesterday after just a few hours of acting lethargic.All others seemed active and normal. This morning an older Buff pullet (they all free range together during the day) is droopy too but will get up and move away from me when I approach. (She is usually pretty friendly) The first time she walked away, she pooped some watery liquid-no blood-and fell down on her side and didn't rise right away.
I've taken her some water and she did come back and drink a bit before moving off back under her favorite shrub.
Any thoughts? I really don't want to lose her!

I'm sorry for your loss.
Can you post photos of the poo and chicken or a video?
How old are they?
What type of food/treats do you give?
Were they vaccinated for Marek's?
Any chance they got into anything rancid, rotten, moldy, poison/insecticides, etc.?

Two things come to mind - one is Cocci. It can present with lethargy, weakness, not eating, diarrhea with mucus or blood, loss of balance, and puffed up appearance, treat with Corid for 5 days in the water.
The other is dehydration.

Thank you-yes, I suspect Cocci and started Corid yesterday. My little pullet is holding her own although she's not happy about being in a dog crate!
They are about 18 weeks old and were not vaccinated. I've had some weird white webbing in the yard-some sort of fungus I guess-and maybe that is the culprit. I haven't seen them near it but it's very likely they were. They always have several waterers handy so I doubt it is dehydration-I've got Corid in them now and hopefully the others will stay well!

Last edited:
I'm glad she is still hanging on.
Possibly put her crate in a cool area where the others can somewhat "interact" with her may help.
I don't free range, but I've found setting up the kennel/crate inside the run seems to attract the others to the "jailed" chicken. One of my girls recovering from any injury was jailed and everyone would stay close to her kennel and she seemed content with them close by.

I'm glad she is still hanging on.
Possibly put her crate in a cool area where the others can somewhat "interact" with her may help.
I don't free range, but I've found setting up the kennel/crate inside the run seems to attract the others to the "jailed" chicken. One of my girls recovering from any injury was jailed and everyone would stay close to her kennel and she seemed content with them close by.
That's actually what my little production reds were doing yesterday. They stayed close to her and seemed to want to be the buffer between her and my older hens who like to throw their weight around when possible.

I have lost four bird now-all Buffs. My other 5 breeds are hale and hearty. Why would that be? I still think it's cocci but am bewildered about the way it is affecting these Buffs compared to the others. I sure hope the last two make it-they do not seem affected at all so far.

Back
Top Bottom