Sick Brahma new owner

Kfrench1013

In the Brooder
Jul 23, 2023
Started noticing one of our Brahmas staying in the coop and not coming out. I wasn’t to concerned at first. This was four days ago. Today I had to take her out and when I did she just stood in one place. Her mouth was open like she was hot so we put her in a small pool of water to cool her down. This helped. Eventually she got out and went to lay down in the shade. That’s when the other chickens (leghorns) started pecking at her. We separated her and brought her into the ac. Gave her some vitamin/ electrolyte water and food in a container and are monitoring her. Am I missing something? So worried. First time owner and everything has been smooth as silk until now. Please help before I cry!!!!

How hot is it getting inside your coop? A thermometer is good to have in there to check. Are there windows for air circulation? Is she normally low in pecking order? Is she walking normally or acting sick? She may be bullied by some of the others, or has been kept from food and water. I would try to get fluids and some electrolytes into her, then offer some moistened chicken feed and egg. Poultry NutriDrench is very good for a boost. What do her poops look like? Is her crop empty or full, firm or puffy soft now? Can you feel of it again in early morning? Does she lay eggs? Check her skin under her vent and belly for lice or mites?

How hot is it getting inside your coop? A thermometer is good to have in there to check. Are there windows for air circulation? Is she normally low in pecking order? Is she walking normally or acting sick? She may be bullied by some of the others, or has been kept from food and water. I would try to get fluids and some electrolytes into her, then offer some moistened chicken feed and egg. Poultry NutriDrench is very good for a boost. What do her poops look like? Is her crop empty or full, firm or puffy soft now? Can you feel of it again in early morning? Does she lay eggs? Check her skin under her vent and belly for lice or mites?
Thanks for the answer. I am afraid she passed away. She appears to have died, from my research, from Sudden Death syndrome, as it was exactly as described. No lice or mites. Now I am worried about the rest of them.

Back
Top Bottom