Sick chick treatment suggestions?

WyoChickenFan

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 15, 2015
IMG_6205.jpeg

This nearly six-week-old chick was noticed almost completely limp in brooder pen six days ago. It was given a cocktail of tetracycline, Recover 911 (electrolyte, probiotic, prebiotics + oregano) and Rooster Booster liquid B-12 plus vitamin K one time. It was given the same cocktail less the tetracycline for three days. It has now recovered considerably but still is not perky. I took it out to coop where others chicks are last evening. It did walk around and peck at things with other chicks. I cannot determine what is wrong with her. (I think it’s a pullet). I‘m looking for advice. She is eating and drinking. What would be normal respiratory rate for a chick this age? Please offer treatment suggestions

I‘m looking for advice. She is eating and drinking. What would be normal respiratory rate for a chick this age? Please offer treatment suggestions
The only thing that doesn't line up with coccidiosis is the eating and drinking (now but not when found).. but that IS the most likely cause.. presuming you were using appropriate feed.

Cocktails mask things, when they haven't first been identified..

Did you treat for coccidiosis?
The only thing that doesn't line up with coccidiosis is the eating and drinking (now but not when found).. but that IS the most likely cause.. presuming you were using appropriate feed.

Thank you and nuthatched for your comments regarding coccidiosis. They bring up more questions in my mind. I‘m relatively new to chicken keeping but have had geese and Guineas. I’ve had a small flock of chickens for a couple years. I haven’t experienced coccidiosis. Good point about cocktails masking situation. The chick was nearly dead so we threw what we had on hand at her, not knowing what was wrong. I’ve only experienced coccidiosis in livestock species. The chick’s poop is nearly normal-just a little yellow in color. I was wondering if that was because of her cocktails. The chicks have been slowly transitioning from an organic formula containing soy to a an organic formula containing no soy. I will research signs and symptoms of coccidiosis in chicks.

Update: Have looked in The Merck Veterinary Manual and online. I don’t think the chick has coccidiosis. Her breathing and respiratory rate are normal. I can’t see evidence of an injury.
Do you have any more thoughts on what might be wrong with her or suggestions for care?

You could try deworming her which will not hurt in case she does not have worms, but can make all the difference in case she has.

Back
Top Bottom