sick chick

Mel Kel

In the Brooder
Apr 3, 2018
Hi -

I've got a sick chick, she was doing ok for the first few days but is acting odd now, and does not respond to stimulus (ie- tapping the outside of the box, it makes all the other chicks wake up and become alert, run around etc). I'm new to chickens, but am thinking this could be to a variety of things.
A few things:
-I have them on pre0medicated food.
-I also am using a regular bulb to provide the heating at night and throughout the day. The other chicks seem to be doing well enough with this heating method. I'm hoping that she didn't get too chilled though.
-I didn't change the water. I feel bad about this now as some quick reading suggests that if there was poo in their water that it could contribute to sickness. I"m not even sure why I didn't think of this. That just makes sense. I feel terrible for this, and will clean their water daily now.

I've removed the sick chick and put her in a box of her own. She is listless (I believe is the word to describe her behavior). If another chick bumps into her, she just goes down. When you pick her up, she immediately "falls asleep" and does not show any real life. I've provided her with extra heat in her seperate box.
Do you think I need to be concerned about spreading infection to the other chicks?

I've read some now about probiotics, but won't be able to get to the store for at least another day. Question: ACV- apple cider vinegar. Can I just use ACV that I bake with and is in my cupboard? Or is it something different and special?
I want to be sure the other chicks stay healthy. And I'm thinking of doing a little yogurt for them.

Any suggestions or comments would be great. I greatly suspect that I will lose her. I just want to make sure that the others are healthy. So wondering about the ACV.

Thank you.

First a for most some chicks just can't survive, they may have internal genitics conditions or malfunctions that will prevent then from living part a certain point.

Typically speaking the others should be fine as this is most likely a failure to thrive issue rather then illness.

I don't know much about acv but yes I believe its generally all the same, but i don't know about using it with chicks, make sure she has plain water too.

Looks for nutridrench, my understanding is that is the best to help any sick or injured chick or hen

she was doing ok for the first few days but is acting odd now, and does not respond to stimulus (ie- tapping the outside of the box, it makes all the other chicks wake up and become alert, run around etc).
I've removed the sick chick and put her in a box of her own. She is listless
If another chick bumps into her, she just goes down. When you pick her up, she immediately "falls asleep" and does not show any real life.
this so sad:hugs sound like 'failure to thrive'
u can try nutridrench like @sawilliams says

Back
Top Bottom