Sick chick

Chikngal

Chirping
Apr 3, 2019
I have a 5 week old French black copper maran that seemed to be on her death bed Wednesday. I have been treating her for Coccidiosis and have wormed her. She cannot walk and seems to not have any feeling in her feet. She can flap her wings and kick her legs but makes no attempt to get up. Any suggestions on what to do?

I have a 5 week old French black copper maran that seemed to be on her death bed Wednesday. I have been treating her for Coccidiosis and have wormed her. She cannot walk and seems to not have any feeling in her feet. She can flap her wings and kick her legs but makes no attempt to get up. Any suggestions on what to do?
Can you post some photos of her and her poop? A video of her actions may also be helpful, upload to youtube and provide a link.

Where is she being kept?
What are you using to treat for Coccidiosis - dosage?
What did you worm her with?
What do you feed her?
Do you see any type of injury/swelling to the legs/joints or feet?
Does she have Coccidiosis or did she have symptoms of Cocccidiosis?

Hopefully with more information we can give you better suggestions.
At 5 weeks with the symptoms you describe, she may be suffering from Marek's.
Do what you can to keep her hydrated. How many more days left of treatment does she have left?

Can you post some photos of her and her poop? A video of her actions may also be helpful, upload to youtube and provide a link.

Where is she being kept?
What are you using to treat for Coccidiosis - dosage?
What did you worm her with?
What do you feed her?
Do you see any type of injury/swelling to the legs/joints or feet?
Does she have Coccidiosis or did she have symptoms of Cocccidiosis?

Hopefully with more information we can give you better suggestions.
At 5 weeks with the symptoms you describe, she may be suffering from Marek's.
Do what you can to keep her hydrated. How many more days left of treatment does she have left?

She is in a brooder with large pine shavings, I have been syringe feeding and watering her. I have been giving her egg yolk watered down. 2 days left of corid and wormed her with wazine. Don’t see any injury or swelling to her legs. I’ll get a video shortly and post the link.

691F6A8B-05A8-4E0E-AA8F-50028BCBD5F5.jpeg
EB24A8D1-34D0-4F25-89E7-ED9DACE73912.jpeg

What are you using to treat for Coccidiosis?
Do you have normal feed like chick starter that you can give her as well?

If you can get a photo of the legs that would be great.

F6D13567-86B5-430E-A38B-A3EABC96370D.jpeg
What are you using to treat for Coccidiosis?
Do you have normal feed like chick starter that you can give her as well?

If you can get a photo of the legs that would be great.

Corid for the coccidiosis. She has chick starter feed that she is not eating but has access to.

The poor thing.

Did she have symptoms of Coccidiosis as well?
If you feel her joint (at the hock) does it feel different from other chicks her age (especially the back where the tendon is)?

You can try placing her in a chick chair to help keep her upright. I'm not sure what's going on with her. I would try to get her eating the chick starter - you can make it into a wet mash, she might like that better. You may need to hand feed her.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Once you are done with the Corid, I would get her on some B vitamins. You can use human B-Complex - 1/2 tablet per day for a week. Crush it up mix in her feed or pop the pieces in her beak.

With her age it still could be Marek's, so that's something to consider. If you lose her, getting testing through your state lab will give you better answers.

Back
Top Bottom