Sick Chick

Kimmyk80

Songster
Jul 16, 2019
Today I received a shipment of chicks, but 5 of the 6 were DOA. The one still living isn’t in great shape. When I opened the box, this chick appeared to be dead also but, to be safe, I took them all out of the box and let them lay as I watched for any signs of life (3 of them were already riggored). Anyway...back to the live chick. She was laying in the box with her head turned around completely backwards (see pic #2-that is her chin
16877E26-058A-4F10-B7E8-540C562A74BA.jpeg
F64B3CEF-97D0-4E2A-913D-B59E71662AA6.jpeg
). She also had a lot of trouble keeping her balance. She falls over backwards all the time because her head keeps flopping backwards (see pic 1). Long story short, I am doing my best to nurse her back to health. Since she can’t stand or even lay upright very well, so I have been giving her water with a q-tip. She hatched out on Monday, so do I need to start getting some sort of nutrition in her? She can’t peck because of her balance, so I would have to hand feed her.

Get her some water with honey and sugar first it has electrolytes second get some food and mix it with water and get lots of vitamin and selenium it is probably wry neck try to straighten out her neck and put baby oil or Vaseline around the vent with a q tip since she can’t move and get the poo off her but this will help it slide off and keep her warm if her legs splay out take some medical tape nod make hobbles to hold them straight hope this helps good luck :)

I gave her some sugar water this morning but I didn’t know about the honey! She is standing and holding her head better now for short amounts of time, but her balance is still pretty bad. How often should I give her water?

Also, where do I get selenium and vitamin E? I have vitamin E supplements, but they are oil filled and I’m guessing that isn’t a good plan.

Since she hasn’t eaten every 3 hours except at night maybe leave her a little and see if she will eat I had a bird get sick and they need a lot of high carb and high cal foods so baby foods with broccoli and banana pumpkin since she can’t peck water it down and feed through an eye dropper

Since she hasn’t eaten every 3 hours except at night maybe leave her a little and see if she will eat I had a bird get sick and they need a lot of high carb and high cal foods so baby foods with broccoli and banana pumpkin since she can’t peck water it down and feed through an eye dropper
Thank you!

Yes it would be ok remove oil from capsule and make sure it’s only oil oil is high fat and carb so it would be good for her when they are sick the best food is soft high protein high carb and honey water is very good for new chicks or sick ones

Poor baby. I recently lost a chicken, I spent a week on Corona quarantine treating her, both my boyfriend and I are nurses and it was difficult. It is hard work and it’s heart breaking, I will keep you and that little baby in my thoughts. Keep everyone posted on her status.

Yes it would be ok remove oil from capsule and make sure it’s only oil oil is high fat and carb so it would be good for her when they are sick the best food is soft high protein high carb and honey water is very good for new chicks or sick ones
I’m goi g to try it now!

Things aren’t looking good for Tabitha l🙁 She is very lethargic and not up moving around like she had been earlier today, I gave her more water and purées spinach by syringe but she just doesn’t look good😭

Back
Top Bottom