Sick chick?

Yabadabadoo

Songster
Jan 9, 2021
Phoenix, AZ
I have a gold star that I bought from a feed store about five days ago. She was delivered to the feedstore 12/30 and is just barely starting to sprout her tail feathers. Her respiration looks a little strained (short of breath), and she’ll stand, and rhythmically, every few seconds, tilt her head back, eyes closed (light sleep, no sound), open her mouth, as if snoring or gasping, then tilt her head back down, and start the cycle again. When she is awake she seems fine but her respirations (chest and back movement) are a little more dramatic than the other chicks. I am a new chick mom, so looking for help with diagnosis, treatment if any, and steps I need to take to stop this from spreading to my other chicks (with whom she has been cohabitating). Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 19B36BB3-0727-46C4-9E58-BCDFD0F9F5A7.jpeg
    19B36BB3-0727-46C4-9E58-BCDFD0F9F5A7.jpeg
    378.4 KB · Views: 14
I had a duckling that did the same thing as your chick. Could you try bringing it up to yor ear and listening to it's breathing, tell us what you hear? And a video of what the cvick is doing can provide a clearer picture to us to help.

I had a duckling that did the same thing as your chick. Could you try bringing it up to yor ear and listening to it's breathing, tell us what you hear? And a video of what the cvick is doing can provide a clearer picture to us to help.
No sounds (I don’t hear any congestion or respiratory distress). Is there a trick to uploading videos here? It keeps saying the attachment appears empty (iphone, 11 second). Her poop is loose and yellowish.

Attachments

• 9F368E6A-D197-45A5-B055-E1FAA21D9AE6.jpeg
    9F368E6A-D197-45A5-B055-E1FAA21D9AE6.jpeg
    708 KB · Views: 5
No sounds (I don’t hear any congestion or respiratory distress). Is there a trick to uploading videos here? It keeps saying the attachment appears empty (iphone, 11 second). Her poop is loose and yellowish.
Have to post it on YouTube, or some other website, then copy the link here.

Hmmm... Could it be to hot in there for her? Chicks will gasp when their to hot, and the light needs to be put higher up as they get bigger.

Definitely looks like a respiratory issue.
Is she eating/drinking/pooping/moving around OK?
None of the others are doing this?

I thought about being too hot also, but it looks like you are using a heat plate instead of a lamp?
I have been using lamps and am
Moving to a heat plate (my brooder is on my screened in porch, so I still had the heat lamp on earlier today while it was a little chillier so that the chicks could figure out how the heat plate works… They were afraid of it). She is super active and talkative. May well be temperature, I will try that. Do you think I need to leave her quarantined or can I put her back in with the rest of the chicks?

Do you think I need to leave her quarantined or can I put her back in with the rest of the chicks?
I'd leave her with her hatch mates, she'll be happier with them.
Even if she does have some illness, they are already exposed anyway.

The plate takes some getting used to, sometimes you have to hold them under there until they 'feel the heat'...can take several attempts until they 'get it'.

Heat lamps can make the whole brooder too hot.
Here's some tips about using a heat lamp:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-chick-heat-blurb.75619/

Back
Top Bottom