Sick chick?

Yabadabadoo

Songster
Jan 9, 2021
Phoenix, AZ
I have a gold star that I bought from a feed store about five days ago. She was delivered to the feedstore 12/30 and is just barely starting to sprout her tail feathers. Her respiration looks a little strained (short of breath), and she’ll stand, and rhythmically, every few seconds, tilt her head back, eyes closed (light sleep, no sound), open her mouth, as if snoring or gasping, then tilt her head back down, and start the cycle again. When she is awake she seems fine but her respirations (chest and back movement) are a little more dramatic than the other chicks. I am a new chick mom, so looking for help with diagnosis, treatment if any, and steps I need to take to stop this from spreading to my other chicks (with whom she has been cohabitating). Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 19B36BB3-0727-46C4-9E58-BCDFD0F9F5A7.jpeg
    19B36BB3-0727-46C4-9E58-BCDFD0F9F5A7.jpeg
    378.4 KB · Views: 14
No sounds (I don’t hear any congestion or respiratory distress). Is there a trick to uploading videos here? It keeps saying the attachment appears empty (iphone, 11 second). Her poop is loose and yellowish.
Have to post it on YouTube, or some other website, then copy the link here.

Do you think I need to leave her quarantined or can I put her back in with the rest of the chicks?
I'd leave her with her hatch mates, she'll be happier with them.
Even if she does have some illness, they are already exposed anyway.

The plate takes some getting used to, sometimes you have to hold them under there until they 'feel the heat'...can take several attempts until they 'get it'.

Heat lamps can make the whole brooder too hot.
Here's some tips about using a heat lamp:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-chick-heat-blurb.75619/

I have a gold star that I bought from a feed store about five days ago. She was delivered to the feedstore 12/30 and is just barely starting to sprout her tail feathers. Her respiration looks a little strained (short of breath), and she’ll stand, and rhythmically, every few seconds, tilt her head back, eyes closed (light sleep, no sound), open her mouth, as if snoring or gasping, then tilt her head back down, and start the cycle again. When she is awake she seems fine but her respirations (chest and back movement) are a little more dramatic than the other chicks. I am a new chick mom, so looking for help with diagnosis, treatment if any, and steps I need to take to stop this from spreading to my other chicks (with whom she has been cohabitating). Thank you in advance!
is her poop bloody if it is she has cocodios and you have to treat everyone in brooder now if its you can buy corid poweder from tractor supply co. Make sure ur brooder is super clean and beding until 4 weeks atleast ther very weak when young. In other cases get Electrlytes from tractor supply co or save the chick. other than take her to a vet. thats all i can do :)

Back
Top Bottom