sick chick

Camelotchick

Hatching
Feb 10, 2015
I have a 6 week old chick that is suddenly sitting alone, acting lethargic, and not eating or drinking. Any ideas as to what is wrong? I have had electrolytes in the water from the beginning, and today I gave her sugar water with a dropper, she is feathered out, and there are 5 others that are fine.

I'm sorry to hear about your chick...I have a 2 week old that just started doing the same thing :( And here I was hoping by the time they are 6 weeks they would be out of the woods for this stuff. Man chicks are nothing but an anxiety attack waiting to happen LOL.

The only possibility that just came to me about mine is if she had become the lowest in the pecking order and is trying to not draw any attention to herself. I really don't know what else to think since she is not acting sick with eye or nose discharge or sneezing or anything like that.

Hope both our chicks bounce back in a day or two.

Well, I just worked on her myself, from things I had read in the past. So, I mixed a bottle of water with a tsp of sugar, 1 drop of VetRX, and some electrolyte powder, and fed it to her with a dropper. She is now up and eating and drinking on her own. I took her away from the others, because I think she was lowest in the pecking order and they were walking on her when I found her this morning. So, now she's in with my 2 silkie chicks, about the same age, and they are all playing nice. haha So, maybe they wouldn't let her eat and drink, and she just got weak and dehydrated. And her feet were cold when I found her. Now she's back to toasty warm too. :) So, hopefully she will make it now. I said, if one had to go, why couldn't it be one of the roos. haha

Well, I just worked on her myself, from things I had read in the past. So, I mixed a bottle of water with a tsp of sugar, 1 drop of VetRX, and some electrolyte powder, and fed it to her with a dropper. She is now up and eating and drinking on her own. I took her away from the others, because I think she was lowest in the pecking order and they were walking on her when I found her this morning. So, now she's in with my 2 silkie chicks, about the same age, and they are all playing nice. haha So, maybe they wouldn't let her eat and drink, and she just got weak and dehydrated. And her feet were cold when I found her. Now she's back to toasty warm too. :) So, hopefully she will make it now. I said, if one had to go, why couldn't it be one of the roos. haha

Well done....That's what we do...maybe some natural sunlight in a warm area in the yard.

Back
Top Bottom