Sick chicken but I don't know what it could be

limeollie

Hatching
Mar 31, 2023
So I have just found my hen, Bandit (easter egger) looking like this, matted vent, blackish brown dots and slightly swollen comb (which we found about 2 weeks ago and believed it was Fowl Pox so we treated it as such and it does look a lot better then what it did in the beginning), only laid 1 egg the last week and she usually lays nearly every day and broken and dull feathers on her back. She is still full of energy, eating and drinking regularly Not sure what the issues for this could be, we treat her and her sisters water with multi vitamins but every recently Bandit and her sister have been refusing to sleep in the chicken coop with the other (new) chickens and I am worried that they might have gotten something from a bug or something while sleeping at night (I tried to put them in the coop every night and close the door, but my father said "just let them sleep outside they will be fine" and I mistakenly listened) But yeah, that is just a bit of information about her and her situation. Any tips or advice on how to help my little baby please let me know!
IMG_2886.jpg
IMG_2889.jpg
IMG_2890.jpg

They are fine to sleep outside, this issues is not caused by getting fresh air.
The feathers could be genetic or depluming mites, the poop but is from a crop issue or worms.
What's their diet?

Not sure what the issues for this could be, we treat her and her sisters water with multi vitamins but every recently Bandit and her sister have been refusing to sleep in the chicken coop with the other (new) chickens and I am worried that they might have gotten something from a bug or something while sleeping at night (I tried to put them in the coop every night and close the door, but my father said "just let them sleep outside they will be fine" and I mistakenly listened)
Can you post photos of the other chickens, their housing?

What do you feed, including treats?

You moved in new chickens? How much space do you have in your coop/run?

Look her over for lice/mites.

Refusing to sleep in the coop could be because of the new chickens, perhaps there's not enough room or she's avoiding being pecked at, chickens don't like change very much, but they learn to adapt most of the time.

They are fine to sleep outside, this issues is not caused by getting fresh air.
The feathers could be genetic or depluming mites, the poop but is from a crop issue or worms.
What's their diet
I mix together Dumor 16% calcium pellets, Nature Wise 16% protein crumble, a bit of diatomaceous earth and I recently got a new scratch then what they normally eat because my local feed store was sold out of the scratch I usually used so about 1-2 weeks ago I switched to Original Scratch Whole Grain (image will provide better information) so I am wondering if it is the new scratch that might not be sitting well with her, one of the sucky things about that though is that I already mixed in the new scratch with the pellets and crumble

Attachments

• IMG_2895.jpg
    IMG_2895.jpg
    736 KB · Views: 7
Can you post photos of the other chickens, their housing?

What do you feed, including treats?

You moved in new chickens? How much space do you have in your coop/run?

Look her over for lice/mites.

Refusing to sleep in the coop could be because of the new chickens, perhaps there's not enough room or she's avoiding being pecked at, chickens don't like change very much, but they learn to adapt most of the time.
I have a run that says it is big enough for 16 chickens and we have 6 in there right now, soon to be 10, but we did buy a new run that is twice the size of the run we have right now and we are going to put them side by side for extra space, the coop right now should have enough space for the 6 chickens but once we get the new run set we were planning on building a new coop for more space for them to sleep. We had 3 (1 yr old) chickens and moved in 4 (16 week) chickens into their area and few months back. Now there is only 2 of the adults hens in the run as 1 of the lil ladies moved to a separate area to raise some new chicks where she has been for the past 10 weeks. But the new little chickens never pecked at the older chickens, the older chickens were constantly pecking at the little ones. Is there any tips on making the older ones want to go back to their coop where they have slept nearly their entire life? I checked briefly for any lice or mites but I didn't see anything, but she is a very squirmy chicken so I will have to wait til I have a second hand to help me look (which will be tonight) I have some images down below of their area they live in (again the run will be extended on Sunday, and the silver tarped ripped 2 days ago and will be replaced also on Sunday) but on image 2901 you can see one of her new sisters is having similar comb issues and on image 2900 her eldest sister with the large comb also had comb issues just a while back (had black and gray dots all over it) but just putting vitamins in the water has helped her greatly. For what they eat, please look at the reply I sent the other kind individual for their feed, but has treats they gets fruits and veggies everyday and sometimes mealworms

Attachments

• IMG_2908.jpg
    IMG_2908.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2906.jpg
    IMG_2906.jpg
    779.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2903.jpg
    IMG_2903.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2902.jpg
    IMG_2902.jpg
    962.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2901.jpg
    IMG_2901.jpg
    690.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2898.jpg
    IMG_2898.jpg
    779.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2900.jpg
    IMG_2900.jpg
    699.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2908.jpg
    IMG_2908.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8
I mix together Dumor 16% calcium pellets, Nature Wise 16% protein crumble, a bit of diatomaceous earth and I recently got a new scratch then what they normally eat because my local feed store was sold out of the scratch I usually used so about 1-2 weeks ago I switched to Original Scratch Whole Grain (image will provide better information) so I am wondering if it is the new scratch that might not be sitting well with her, one of the sucky things about that though is that I already mixed in the new scratch with the pellets and crumble
You need to cut out or cut back on the scratch. scratch is not feed, it's the chicken equivalent of say, fries, not a lot of nutrients but lots of carbs and fat. Your chicken's are likely suffering from nutrition deficiency.
You don't mix it with their feed, you throw a handful on the ground for them to scratch at.
You should only be feeding less than a tablespoon per chicken of scratch.
Try feeding primarily their feed, 18% protein or better.
Feed already has de, you don't need to add more, it won't do anything.

I mix together Dumor 16% calcium pellets, Nature Wise 16% protein crumble, a bit of diatomaceous earth and I recently got a new scratch then what they normally eat because my local feed store was sold out of the scratch I usually used so about 1-2 weeks ago I switched to Original Scratch Whole Grain
The scab on the youngster may be from cutting it on wire or a feeder. It may be Fowl Pox, but at this time I'd just monitor the place and she if she gets any more.

Check the one you are most worried about for lice/mites again to be sure those are not an issue.

Hard to know why they don't want to go inside and roost, but if this all started when you introduced the newbies - this points to the main cause. Look at your roosting bar, make sure there's enough space and that there's no sharp pointed edges that may be uncomfortable for them to roost on - it may need to be sanded more smoothly and flattened out. Birds like to roost where they feel most comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom