Sick chicken, can’t find any info

shaileen

Chirping
May 9, 2022
Hello everyone,
Yesterday i was doing my rounds to all my flocks and noticed one of my barnevelders acting lame, not moving or drinking/eating, I put her in “hospital” and checked her out and her crop is empty but feels as if her esophagus or wind pipe is hard as a rock and curved/buldged out, I did give her oil and gently massaged it, but nothing has changed, I gave her some vitamins in her water and some plain yogurt, and she ate it like she was starving so I mashed up some egg and she gobbled that up too but still no improvement, can I give her access to her food, I’ve just left her with water for the day and treating it as I would a impacted crop but it’s definitely not that

What I’ve ruled out
- impacted crop
-grapeworm
-eggbound

Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I’m no where near a vet that I can take a chicken too

I think you were feeling the cartilage that covers the trachea (windpipe) in her throat. I would not leave her without food and water, especially if her crop feels empty. She may be losing weight for some reason, and cancer can be a very common reason in chickens. How old is she? What are you feeding? Check her crop early in the morning to see if it is emptying overnight.

I think you were feeling the cartilage that covers the trachea (windpipe) in her throat. I would not leave her without food and water, especially if her crop feels empty. She may be losing weight for some reason, and cancer can be a very common reason in chickens. How old is she? What are you feeding? Check her crop early in the morning to see if it is emptying overnight.
I’ll attach a photo of the feed my chickens get, but I do ferment it with a scoop of black oil sunflower seed, she’s only about 28 weeks, her crop still feels empty this morning and even after she ate the eggs and yogurt but I did give her regular feed back after but she is not interested in it, can I give her more eggs? Or is there something better and tasty, Im sure she cant survive off yogurt and eggs, no improvement today but also hasn’t gotten worse. I’m really hoping it’s not cancer :(
Thank you

Attachments

• 96332D4C-97D7-4BC6-8351-61D004EFC96A.png
    96332D4C-97D7-4BC6-8351-61D004EFC96A.png
    679.9 KB · Views: 7
Since you gave her regular feed back, I would wet it and change it out daily, so that it doesn’t spoil. If she is used to fermented feed, that should be something she would take. If she will take egg, give her some more. Here is a picture of the neck of the chicken where the trachea is and it is covered by hard cartilage. Note the location of the crop as well.

1660311887916.jpeg

I did get her to eat some of the fermented food but she didn’t take much, her crop doesn’t seem to be filling at all, I’m going to draw on that picture you attached to show you what her windpipe is like, her droppings look green and not good this morning, it was also the first time she’s went since a very small dropping yesterday morning

Attachments

• 8E7F5205-2B80-4FCE-BED6-9FBBDBA2DF7D.jpeg
    8E7F5205-2B80-4FCE-BED6-9FBBDBA2DF7D.jpeg
    226.9 KB · Views: 6
When I had a hen who I had to hand feed for over a month, I gave her a small bowl twice a day held up to her beak. It contains both dry and moist chicken feed, scrambled egg, and I varied it with cottage cheese and canned cat food. Since she would not drink, her food all had to be moistened with water. Feel some other crops to make sure you are feeling the right area. The crop should fill up with the egg and water gradually until late evening, and be felt by then. Then it should empty over night.

All my other chickens crops feel 100 percent normal, I’ve never felt something like this before, it really doesn’t make sense to me, I can’t even Feel her crop, can they get blockages in the windpipe? She’s breathing fine though, and she’s drinking water no problem, but she’s not eating nearly enough

Can you look into her throat with a light for anything unusual or yellow plaques or canker? Tumors would feel solid. There also can be leaking air sacs where it might feel like air under the skin. Is she still unable to stand or walk? Are you familiar with Mareks disease, a virus which can cause lameness, tumors in organs and other possible symptoms. Was she vaccinated for that?

Can you look into her throat with a light for anything unusual or yellow plaques or canker? Tumors would feel solid. There also can be leaking air sacs where it might feel like air under the skin. Is she still unable to stand or walk? Are you familiar with Mareks disease, a virus which can cause lameness, tumors in organs and other possible symptoms. Was she vaccinated for that?
I will try looking down her throat when I’m home from work, she’s still standing and she can walk but I can tell she is getting weaker with her steps, she isn’t vaccinated for marked disease, I only know a bit about it from the little research I did, she’s not paralyzed at all but maybe she’s just not showing signs of that yet, I’m really just hoping there’s improvements when I get home, I hate leaving with a sick animal but unfortunately my job doesn’t see sick chickens as a reason to miss work 😥

I will try looking down her throat when I’m home from work, she’s still standing and she can walk but I can tell she is getting weaker with her steps, she isn’t vaccinated for marked disease, I only know a bit about it from the little research I did, she’s not paralyzed at all but maybe she’s just not showing signs of that yet, I’m really just hoping there’s improvements when I get home, I hate leaving with a sick animal but unfortunately my job doesn’t see sick chickens as a reason to miss work 😥
Sorry I know this is a serious issue but I couldn’t help myself… it’s simple it’s not a sick chicken it’s sick children… they are are feathered children after all… unless you don’t have children then I don’t know

On a more serious note if she is eating the egg try mixing it with some chick crumbles… that way she will be getting everything she needs …

Back
Top Bottom