Sick chicken, digestive problems? $800 vet bill, what can I do at home

If they are on her all the time, I'm leaning towards them being lice. Can you see egg clusters at the base of the feathers ? They look like inverted Q-tips,

Ca
If they are on her all the time, I'm leaning towards them being lice. Can you see egg clusters at the base of the feathers ? They look like inverted Q-tips,

Can definitely see black dots all through her feathers but more so by the tail. Is the treatment for mites and lice the same product. I’ll ring the store I buy my feed and other medicine from in the morning and see what he’s got in stock. Then I’ll go get some.

Ca

Can definitely see black dots all through her feathers but more so by the tail. Is the treatment for mites and lice the same product. I’ll ring the store I buy my feed and other medicine from in the morning and see what he’s got in stock. Then I’ll go get some.
Yes, is the same products others have mentioned -- permethrin or Elector. The biggest difference is that with mites, more care must be taken to completely clean and spray down the coop, including all the nooks and crannies, as that's were the mites live. With lice, treating the chickens, a basic coop cleaning, replacing the bedding, and spraying the roost bars usually does the trick.

The northern fowl mite can be found on chickens day and night, while the common chicken mite may only be seen at night in the dark. Both mites and lice on chickens can be treated with permethrin, but permethrin is not approved for use in some countries outside the US. It may be hard to find, but you can try.

It does appear that Elector PSP (spinosad) is available in AU, but it is expensive. Many say that it goes a long way though. It is not for use on the chicken, but for the housing.

https://www.elanco.com.au/products-services/poultry/products/poultry-elector

https://www.fishpond.com.au/Beauty/Elector-Psp-Premise-Spray-240ml/0727804530655

I've read (although haven't tried it myself), of people treating chickens with mites and lice by immersing them in a water bath with a little neem oil and dawn soap, and then drying them off with a blow drier. This maybe a little much for an ill chicken, but I put it out there in case the preferred products are not available.

Last edited:
Alright thanks guys! I’ll get to the shop when they open. It’s 7:30 am here. Discos crop is EMPTY! It’s a miracle. I have her her pills with a tea spoon of yoghurt. I tried to mix her layer crumble with water but she’s not interested. All she wants to eat is eggs and yogurt. Will try to mix the feed with the egg and she how she goes. I want to keep her on very soft foods for now. Poo is basically just water now :/

Back
Top Bottom