Sick Chicken - GI Stasis/ impacted crop - will not eat or drink

Hello all. I am in desperate need of help. Last Friday, my family and I moved to a different state. I brought my 3 hens in a dog crate and they seemed to do reasonably well but I know changing their environment can be stressful so I don't know if this is what trigger all of this...

On Tuesday, my Buff Orpington started showing signs of being "off". She wasn't interested in food or mealworms and was pooping mostly liquid. By evening, she wouldn't keep her eyes open and I thought she was going to die in my arms. I spent the whole night feeding her scrambled eggs and syringing electrolyte water and Nutridrench, which kept her alive until morning.

We went to the vet first thing Wednesday morning and they did x-rays (not egg bound) and she was diagnosed with GI Stasis. The vet thought her crop was impacted so she stayed the day at the vet with an IV catheter and was treated with Metoclopramide/Reglan injections and got fluids every hour. Her take home antibiotics were Meloxicam oral and Baytril Enrofloxacin (for 7 days).

She's back home now, completely alert, and with the catheter still in her wing. I'm still giving her fluids every few hours. She refuses to drink water and is completed uninterested in food. The only food she will eat is mashed blueberries/blackberries and canned tuna. I've tried mashing her crumbles in a blender, pumpkin puree, hardboiled eggs, scrambled eggs, rice, pasta, oats, strawberries, yogurt... She won't eat any of it. Her crop feels like it's the size of a tennis ball still. She is pooping normal.

Is there anything I can do? I will be devastated if she dies. PLEASE HELP. Any suggestions or feedback would be much appreciated.

How is she doing? To treat impacted crop put about 1tablespoon of coconut oil in the fridge and let it harden. Once it hardens take chunks of it and pop them into her mouth. After you do that massage her crop for about 20 minutes. Repeat those steps until you think her crop is emptying.

Back
Top Bottom