Sick chicken - Help please!

Yes, young layers can become egg bound. They sometimes will lay shell-less eggs too, which can get stuck because they are harder to push through the oviduct. Let’s hope it is that. Dehydration can cause weakness and similar symptoms. So I would get her drinking some fluids by holding a scoop up to her beak and offering it often. Watermelon can be a good treat to give fluids.

But still, Mareks is a possibility, but hopefully it is not that. Do her eyes look normal in color and have nice round pupils? Do you have any vitamins with electrolytes, or some Poultry NutriDrench or Poultry Cell tonic? Those are good to use.

Yes, young layers can become egg bound. They sometimes will lay shell-less eggs too, which can get stuck because they are harder to push through the oviduct. Let’s hope it is that. Dehydration can cause weakness and similar symptoms. So I would get her drinking some fluids by holding a scoop up to her beak and offering it often. Watermelon can be a good treat to give fluids.

But still, Mareks is a possibility, but hopefully it is not that. Do her eyes look normal in color and have nice round pupils? Do you have any vitamins with electrolytes, or some Poultry NutriDrench or Poultry Cell tonic? Those are good to use.

Her eyes look normal, she's eating and drinking just fine but I will definitely add some nutridrench just to be safe. I checked her vent and there is a fairly large egg in there about an inch and a half inwards. I just gave her a 20 minute epsom salt bath and have her in a large kennel with bedding, food and water to see if that does the trick.

I don't have any calcium on hand aside from the oyster shell I give them. I gave her some of that mixed with a little food. I just had surgery a few days ago so I can't drive yet, but I do have a family member who is going to run to the store for me in a bit to pick up some calcium. Hopefully it'll help!

An update! I'm hopeful that my sg was eggbound. She finally managed to get the egg out and seems to be feeling much better. IllI be keeping an eye on her and will give an update tomorrow :D

Oh, that is great to hear. I would make sure that she eats layer feed, and has the oyster shell always available to eat as she wants it.

Just thought I'd update -- it definitely was being eggbound that brought on Elsa's temporary paralysis. She has spent a couple days eating, drinking, walking and running like normal. So thank you to everyone for your help!:hugs

Back
Top Bottom