Sick chicken - Help please!

reddpepper86

Songster
Mar 18, 2016
Oregon Coast
Hi everyone!

We woke up this morning to one of my hens laying down in the coop. She is a 20 week old sapphire gem and just started laying eggs this week. She won't walk - like her legs don't work. Her wings seem to be a little weak as well. She still has an appetite but can't move. None of the other hens are showing any symptoms of being sick. Any ideas??

Mareks can be a possibility at this age, but I would look at egg binding with an egg pressing on her sciatic nerve. Get a disposable glove and insert a finger into her vent an inch or two, to feel for a stuck hard shell egg or a soft shell-less egg. If you think that she is egg bound, give her a human calcium tablet which may have vitamin D as well. You can give it whole or crush it into some egg or a treat. A warm shallow bath to relax her enought to help pass the egg would be good. Also you could place her in a warm humid room such as a bathroom after running a shower.

Mareks can cause many different symptoms in each bird, so no cases are identical. I would place her in a basket or dog crate close enought to food and water to reach it. Here is some reading about egg binding and Mareks:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/chicken-egg-binding-causes-symptoms/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Yes, young layers can become egg bound. They sometimes will lay shell-less eggs too, which can get stuck because they are harder to push through the oviduct. Let’s hope it is that. Dehydration can cause weakness and similar symptoms. So I would get her drinking some fluids by holding a scoop up to her beak and offering it often. Watermelon can be a good treat to give fluids.

But still, Mareks is a possibility, but hopefully it is not that. Do her eyes look normal in color and have nice round pupils? Do you have any vitamins with electrolytes, or some Poultry NutriDrench or Poultry Cell tonic? Those are good to use.

I don't have any calcium on hand aside from the oyster shell I give them. I gave her some of that mixed with a little food. I just had surgery a few days ago so I can't drive yet, but I do have a family member who is going to run to the store for me in a bit to pick up some calcium. Hopefully it'll help!

Just thought I'd update -- it definitely was being eggbound that brought on Elsa's temporary paralysis. She has spent a couple days eating, drinking, walking and running like normal. So thank you to everyone for your help!:hugs

Back
Top Bottom