Sick Chicken, IDK what to do. Please help.

Gardenlover

In the Brooder
Jul 26, 2023
Hey ya'll. I'm a new chicken mom, a little back story to how we got here. I got 5 chicks from a lady who hatches them off a local FB group. They were all happy and healthy, 2 turned out to be cockerels and I could keep them due to city laws. At the time when I got the chicks the woman assured me she would take back and roos and exchange for hens or refund back the cost. They are about 12-13 weeks old now, doing spectacular and spoiled as can be.

Well we took the first option and exchanged them for 2 pullets around the same age as mine. We have set up a quarantine pen for the two new girls. One is a rhode island red who I was told is about 15 weeks, and one is a bantam cochin who I was told was of similar age maybe slightly older.

I, unfortunately, after getting them home more so feel as though I have rescued the birds more than just got them to join my flock. Upon further insepction the red is skin and bone, covered in lice and has a runny nose. The cochin is a little drowsy but seems in better spirits, believe she is affected by the lice by association as well. I have ordered Elector PSP from Chicken Chick (hopefully here in 2 days) and have already added DE to their pen/dust bath hole.

I went to check on the girls before leaving for work this AM and the red was still sleeping on the roost not quite gasping for air but a clear up and down movement of breathing with her eyes closed and discharge from her nose.

What can I do? I'm incredibly worried about all my chickens, new and old, I have been following the quarantine rules of visiting the established flock first and changing clothes/hand washing and cleaning after handling or doing anything with the new girls so I truly hope this has been contained. I hope I can save them. We do not have an avian vet anywhere near by and even if we did I'm not sure I could afford that at this time.

I feel so terrible, any advice is welcome.

DE won't even slow down mites and can harm you and your birds.
Personally, I'd cull the new birds and get your money and never bother with that 'breeder' again. There are several respiratory diseases that even if you carried the birds through, they will be carriers for life. And it's impossible to know what they have unless you get necropsy done.

DE won't even slow down mites and can harm you and your birds.
Personally, I'd cull the new birds and get your money and never bother with that 'breeder' again. There are several respiratory diseases that even if you carried the birds through, they will be carriers for life. And it's impossible to know what they have unless you get necropsy done.
Oh man, this is such a shame.

Back
Top Bottom