Sick chicken..losing feathers and crop issues. Help!

She's a cutie:)

I don't see a photo of her wearing the crop bra(?) Fully and squishy sounds like a slow or doughy crop - have you tried massaging the crop to see if you can get some of what's in there broken up?

As for the feathers on the back of the head, she has new growth coming in, the poor dear appears to be molting.

This chicken! She just can't seem to shake this yeast infection! Yesterday I started her on Monistat because I read about that treatment on this site. Second day and no change. My mom has thrown her up a couple times. Both times she threw up quite a bit. We only tip her over a few seconds at a time so she doesn't aspirate...even if she's in the middle of throwing up. We just don't want her upside down too long.

As far as the medicines everyone has recommended...where do I look for those? I prefer not to do copper sulfate again unless we've tried everything else. Also, can't find oregano oil but still looking...

Here's a better picture of her modeling her bra.

Attachments

• 20171015_171914.jpg
    20171015_171914.jpg
    413.5 KB · Views: 7
Probably the bra hasn't been giving the crop adequate support. If the bra is supporting the crop correctly, the crop should be completely empty each morning. Just keep adjusting it until this happens.

Once the crop empties every 24 hours as it should, the sour crop should clear up.

If her breath and vomit don't smell bad and she is eating eagerly, then she does not have a sour crop/yeast infection.
It sounds to me like she has a partial impaction and has developed a pendulous crop probably as a result of that impaction.

Many people incorrectly believe that an impaction will feel hard, but often it is caused by a soggy matted mass of fibrous material like straw, hay or grass which clogs up the outlet and often feel doughy.
I've had a few bantam cochins with this problem. Some I managed to resolve with regular massage 4x a day for 10-15 mins. Twice I had to do crop surgery to physically remove the mass of tangled fibrous material that was slowing/blocking the digestive tract. The ones that I resolved with massage, I removed access to all dry food and any fibrous material/bedding and just gave them a very runny mush of their pellets soaked in water with olive oil. It took nearly 2 weeks of 4x daily massages and occasional vomiting to get the contents of one broken down.

Sometimes surgery is the last resort and perhaps something that you should now be considering since she is very thin.

You might want to watch the video of crop surgery in this thread .... and read the thread....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/impacted-crop-surgery-with-video.858803/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom