Sick chicken, need advice

algae75

Chirping
Jan 20, 2017
Hello Everyone,

I took in a rescue this summer, a Rhodesian Island Red hen, and put her in the barn with my one legged roo whom I named Peggy. Everything was fine until late Oct/early Nov when Lizzie, the hen in question, started giving all the signs of either worms or coccidia. She had watery poops that were yellowish green, listless, not really interested in eating, etc. I wormed her with Safeguard for goats (Peggy as well, they are separated from the rest of the flock) and treated with Corid for the appropriate time. Everything seemed fine, Lizzie got back to her old self and was eating great. About 2 weeks ago she started acting listless again, not really eating. I treated her this time with Valbazen, she did not perk up. I treated with Corid again, still nothing. I treat her with 5 days of amoxicillin (100mg twice a day), still nothing. I’m back to the Valbazen again, I’m on day 3, and I have been tube feeding her twice a day. She is not improving. I fed her around 11am this morning ( with the hopes of a 3:30pm feeding) and when I went to feed again at 3:30 her crop was still pretty full so it didn’t tube feed her. She has lost so much weight, I don’t know what to do. Any advice?

You certainly have tried everything possible. One thing I can think of to try would be a flush in the event there was a heavy worm load that couldn't be absorbed or eliminated.

Due to the crop being full, and that is a symptom of a blockage, by the way, I recommend the Epsom salts flush. One ounce of warm water and one teaspoon of Epsom salts dissolved in it. Syringe it into the beak. It all needs to get into her. This acts as a mild laxative and should dissolve the blockage and flush it out.

Do the syringe like this photo and it will avoid getting into the airway.
upload_2019-3-15_10-22-30.jpeg

The miconazole should work for you. I used it recently on a hen that had sour crop and it cleared up in about 7 or 8 days.
Since she excreted a whole kernel of corn, it suggests that her gizzard might be impacted. Once her sour crop clears up and if she's still not eating much, try giving her tomato juice to drink. Continue giving it for a couple of days and hopefully it should get things moving again.
Thank you very much!

This was her poo this morning. She as not had access to corn in over 5 days.
C90DE03F-366A-4092-91EB-B2A493339071.jpeg

She is fed a layer mash (always available) with whole corn and sunflower seeds as a treat in the morning and at night. She has grit available as well. Several years ago I had a sick peahen so I was going off of advice given then in regards to Safeguard (3 days) and Valbazen (5 days). I think the length of days given was to be able to treat capillary worms. I can’t get a fecal done on Lizzie because we do not have a resident vet where I live, which happens to be an island 32 miles off the coast of mainland Michigan, so I can drive anywhere either.

Hi there. I'm really keen to see how your chicken is after the espom flush?
My hen Hariett has been exactly the same as yours. Her comb is also darker on the ends. Was shaking her head last time she was sick, vet shop said it was worms. Treated her and she was better in no time. Now we back to unhappy again but not shaking head or showing signs of worms. I even got her two chicks recently for company as her mate passed away a couple months ago.

Back
Top Bottom