Sick Chicken or Normal Stage?

LoveMyChickens2

Hatching
8 Years
Jan 12, 2012
Hello,

I have a white leghorn who is acting unusual. She is not leaving the coop and every time I look she is still on the perch in the same location. Her red comb is now turning black on the ends and maybe getting deeper into the comb. We have had freezing weather yet no other hens are experiencing this except my black Australorp hen has always had black in her comb much as the one in some previous posts.

The white Leghorn is also sitting on the perch inside the coop and doesn't seem to come out. I don't know if she eats because food is inside the coop and I've not seen her drink water which is outside the coop. I just haven't caught her outside the coop now for several days, although I can't see the coop yard from most windows.

She responds to me and seems to poop okay. When I stroke her she seems okay with it...which usually she's rather shy but she isn't acting strange other than not coming out of the coop and the black on her comb.

Does anyone have any ideas as to whether she is going through a normal stage or if she's sick? Some of them have been molting and she did too but not extreme. The others are all going outside and acting normal. I have 6 hens. It's winter here and cold at night on some nights below 32 but not every night.

Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated!

She might be getting emaciated since I don't think she's eating and her comb is getting quite black. I don't remember if her crop is full in the evening...I just noticed how black it was getting...but I'll check it out.

Oops...you said crop...I don't know the answer to whether it is full or not..I'll check this evening. Thanks for answering. I think she's getting worse as each day passes and it doesn't look good.

She definitely sounds sick to me. You need to do several things - first, segregate her from the others if you can - a dog kennel works well if you have one. Then check her over real well for mites and lice. They will suck her blood and eventually kill her. If she's eating, her crop should already have a bulge to it today. Also, feel her body to see if she feels imaciated.

It could be several things.. if she's skinny, then she's not digesting food. She could have an impacted or sour crop. Thus the need to see if it's filling and emptying.

She may need to be wormed. Do a search on this forum for anything dawg53 has posted regarding worming (he always recommends Valbazen - it's a good all-around wormer if I remember correctly).

Those are some things to start with. You'll need to stay on top of this as they will die VERY quickly. Oh, and remember, anything you do to her as far as mites/lice/worms are concerned, you'll need to do to the rest as well as to their coop.

Thank you..I went out this morning and she was up and eating! First time I'd seen her eat for a couple of days. Her beak is very dry and until today I had not seen her outside the coop. I looked out a minute ago and she was out! She's looking better. I took some soft food to her after I saw she was eating with a little water, vinegar and yogurt in it. I was feeding them an organic feed that was beans and other items broken up with no soy or corn. Previously they were eating an organic pellet. I went back to the pellets after about 6 months because I just wasn't sure how they were doing. If you know of anyone who makes a good pellet (or otherwise) feed without soy or corn I'd be all over it!

I'll work on the things you suggested...thank you again very, very much!

Back
Top Bottom