Sick Chicken- please help ASAP

sandyolszewski

Hatching
9 Years
Sep 30, 2010
I found my Barred Plymouth Rock laying in her coop on the floor, no obvious trauma, no obvious bleeding; its as if shes comatose. Not breathing hard, not opening her eyes, low body heat and not really supporting herself. Can anyone please help me?

Unknown vaccinations
3 months old
Regular chicken feed (from Farm N Fleet)
No treats, but vegetables from the garden
Sleeps in wood shavings
No free range, but has an enclosed chicken yard with 7 other healthy chickens
Poop- unknown
Barely has a crop, but it feels cold and pale
Abdomin feels fine
No respiratory issues, no bubbles in her eyes, no nasal discharge
Hasn't been wormed (not that i know of)
No signs of mites
Does't feel skinny

Last edited:
Can you give us more information? What is her age, has she been vaccinated for mareks, what is her feed, what treats does she get, what bedding do you use, does she free range, could she have eaten anything rotten like from a compost pile, how does her crop feel, has she been laying eggs, how does her abdomen feel, do poops look normal (no blood) , does she have any signs of respiratory issues like ratttling in her chest, bubbles in her eyes, nasal discharge, has she been wormed, any sign of mites, does she feel skinny, etc....

If you give as much information as possible maybe someone can help...

I'm kind of guessing here - but i know my chickens sometimes come down off the roost kind of hard. Could she have run into something while coming off the roost or out of a nest box. If something hit her in the head just right, that might account for the bruising and the comatose state.

Quote:
Good point. Also some respiratory issues can cause swelling arounnd the eyes. I was thinking botulism with the "comatose" description, but head injury could be possible.

Quote:
Good point. Also some respiratory issues can cause swelling arounnd the eyes. I was thinking botulism with the "comatose" description, but head injury could be possible.

So what do i do about that??

Back
Top Bottom