Sick chicken please help

I don't know if you want to euthanize or just let her pass but I know that plain old aspirin is chicken safe as long as you heavily dilute it a to a gallon water, I kept one of my favorite cockerals on that to keep him eating and drinking after he broke his leg terribly and needed to wait a week before they could put put him down

I don't know if you want to euthanize or just let her pass but I know that plain old aspirin is chicken safe as long as you heavily dilute it a to a gallon water, I kept one of my favorite cockerals on that to keep him eating and drinking after he broke his leg terribly and needed to wait a week before they could put put him down
One aspirin to a gallon of water?
She is eating, stooling, and comfortable on this very soft fluffy blanket. (I have two so I keep washing them and switching)... but she is not drinking. Today I used a syringe and got about 10 ml in, 2 mls every couple of hours. She does seem stronger today and not weaker. And she does seem comfortable on her ball of fluff. Would you happen to know how many mls of water is required to keep a chicken hydrated.
I will dissolve a aspirin in a gallon of water but as I said, she is barely drinking. I don’t know why? She is eating.
Thank you so much for helping me.

Attachments

• EFD410A0-88C5-4B86-86BF-F37033122955.jpeg
    EFD410A0-88C5-4B86-86BF-F37033122955.jpeg
    418.4 KB · Views: 12
It does sound like Mareks unfortunately.
Yes. I think you are exactly correct. I think it is Mareks. Especially the way she can’t seem to support her body and have wing control. I will call the vet Monday about euthanizing, bc I’m
told this doesn’t get better?
How would she have gotten this, she is 3. Are the other chickens at risk?

Thank you so much for you kindness and helping. She does seem comfortable with her giant fluffy bed I made and giving her small amounts of food often.

So sorry that the vet could not help her. Would he be able to euthanize her for you, so that she doesn’t suffer, or would you be able to put her down when the time comes? Tumors are common in chickens, and some are caused by Mareks disease. It looks like you are doing a good job keeping her comfortable. I would just offer her water and some food right up to her beak often, and feed her what she likes. Sorry that she seems to be dying.
Yes, I think you are all correct. I think it’s Mareks. The vet didn’t even mention that, he just felt a tumor and said probably cancer. He said he honestly rarely sees chickens. I think with her inability to keep upright and have wing control it’s Mareks. I will call about euthanizing Monday because I am told it only get worse? Is that right?
She does seem cozy in her fluffy bed, she is getting small amounts of food often, and put her in the grass a couple times a days just to let her be near her natural surroundings, she likes the sunshine and I sit by her. I’m just so upset this is not treatable. I love her so dearly. Thank you for all your guidance.

Attachments

• 8A1DFEE9-73E7-49A1-B947-39633B3CFEFD.jpeg
    8A1DFEE9-73E7-49A1-B947-39633B3CFEFD.jpeg
    433.7 KB · Views: 12
  • EEC92506-D4EE-4319-BACD-7D89F336D78F.jpeg
    EEC92506-D4EE-4319-BACD-7D89F336D78F.jpeg
    433.7 KB · Views: 12
I’m so terribly sorry for you and your hen! :hugsDid the vet not offer euthanasia? Mine will euthanize for $20. There are some threads on doing it yourself but so far I’ve not had to.
I couldn’t do it myself but I am going to call Monday .
I think you are all correct. I think it’s Mareks. The vet didn’t even mention that, he just felt a tumor and said probably cancer. He said he honestly rarely sees chickens. I think with her inability to keep upright and have wing control it’s Mareks. I will call about euthanizing Monday because I am told it only get worse? Is that right?
She does seem cozy in her fluffy bed, she is getting small amounts of food often, and put her in the grass a couple times a days just to let her be near her natural surroundings, she likes the sunshine and I sit by her. I’m just so upset this is not treatable. I love her so much

Attachments

• 6F3E0E4F-B046-4938-B86A-8F5D9D646E6B.jpeg
    6F3E0E4F-B046-4938-B86A-8F5D9D646E6B.jpeg
    418.4 KB · Views: 12
Yes. I think you are exactly correct. I think it is Mareks. Especially the way she can’t seem to support her body and have wing control. I will call the vet Monday about euthanizing, bc I’m
told this doesn’t get better?
How would she have gotten this, she is 3. Are the other chickens at risk?

Thank you so much for you kindness and helping. She does seem comfortable with her giant fluffy bed I made and giving her small amounts of food often.

Attachments

• 25073A0D-D27F-4D8D-8A0E-5E6D20E506BB.jpeg
    25073A0D-D27F-4D8D-8A0E-5E6D20E506BB.jpeg
    369 KB · Views: 12
If the vet did not xray her, it is possible that she has internal laying or egg masses inside the abdomen. But it could be cancer as well. I would say that you could watch her for a couple of days, spend more time feeding her, and then decide if she looks to be suffering. If she feels like eating, she may still have some time. I don’t think you need to rush to euthanize her unless she is suffering. You could make an appointment for later in the week, and if she seems to be in pain or miserable, then take her in. I think only you would be able to know if it is time. You may want to have your state vet do a necropsy on her to find out if she had Mareks or not. What state are you in? Here is a list of state poultry vets if you would like to contact them for information:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

If the vet did not xray her, it is possible that she has internal laying or egg masses inside the abdomen. But it could be cancer as well. I would say that you could watch her for a couple of days, spend more time feeding her, and then decide if she looks to be suffering. If she feels like eating, she may still have some time. I don’t think you need to rush to euthanize her unless she is suffering. You could make an appointment for later in the week, and if she seems to be in pain or miserable, then take her in. I think only you would be able to know if it is time. You may want to have your state vet do a necropsy on her to find out if she had Mareks or not. What state are you in? Here is a list of state poultry vets if you would like to contact them for information:
I asked him if it could be egg bound and he said no, not after this long. I noticed her symptoms Sept. 29th. He said if it was egg bound she would have died by now, his words. He also said it felt too small to be egg bound. Now I wish he had did an x-Ray bc here I am rethinking everything. I am going to make the appointment for Thursday, that is my next day off work. Or wait, I could call the emergency vet facility. Let me look into that today. She does not seem to be declining. She will still stand intermittently and when I looked at pics with Mareks they were flat on bellies, leg out and paralyzed. Also she does not have gray iris. I’m gonna call the emergency vet now, I’ll keep you posted. The biggest symptom is she won’t drink, and too weak to move forward/ balance.

To all those that have helped me, I do believe it’s Mareks bc she is floppy today. With a blanket I have her propped and comfortable. I put egg shells and food in a bullet and she has eaten. I give her water with electrolytes in a syringe but she doesn’t not take more than 2 ml at a time and I don’t want her to aspirated . She is in her extra large dog kennel under a tree today and there is a gorgeous warm breeze. I will give her today. Maybe tomorrow. If she seems comfortable it’s ok to wait to euthanize her right?

Attachments

• DDAEFE21-CD26-4D34-89EE-818D061D2964.jpeg
    DDAEFE21-CD26-4D34-89EE-818D061D2964.jpeg
    558.8 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom