Sick chicken please help

Pics

dlg11335

Chirping
Nov 4, 2019
Can someone please help. I noticed a change in my chickens behavior a
month ago. I brought her inside to what I call the sick bay and realized she had watery diarrhea. That day she drank a gallon of water with probiotics and electrolytes and I believe that saved her life. For several days no eating, but drinking. Gave her a bath to soak just in case she was egg bound. Finally she started moving slow and eating a bit after a week. She would free range in daylight and I put her in the sick bay at night, still diarrhea. Took her stool to vet, he said no worms, gave me tysol antibiotic for 5 days. It seems to help the stools. Now it’s been a month. She has lost weight. And she is lame on one side, can’t perch. So again, I carry her in every evening to her cozy bed inside but just putting her in acts like it hurts, like
Her wing is broke. Could she have cancer? What should I do?

Attachments

• FFED274D-30E3-4BC4-BCF4-F4C68D20E363.jpeg
    FFED274D-30E3-4BC4-BCF4-F4C68D20E363.jpeg
    599.3 KB · Views: 44
How old is she? In the picture, her crop appears to be enlarged. Can you feel of it in the early morning before she eats or drinks, and tell us if it feels full and hard, puffy/boggy, or if it is empty. Hens can suffer from crop disorders and reproductive problems, and can also happen together. But the worst symptoms are the wing and lame leg on one side. That sounds like possible Mareks disease.

I am so sorry for your loss. Red was very lucky to have you. I lost my favorite rooster to cancer. Minus the reproductive issues, he exhibited the same symptoms and behaviors your feathered friend did. My boy would have a really great day - he'd move around, he'd eat and drink, he'd even crow - and I'd think he was getting better and then he'd have bad days. After two weeks, he eventually passed on his own. Chickens will break your heart like no other animal.

I am so sorry for your loss. Red was very lucky to have you. I lost my favorite rooster to cancer. Minus the reproductive issues, he exhibited the same symptoms and behaviors your feathered friend did. My boy would have a really great day - he'd move around, he'd eat and drink, he'd even crow - and I'd think he was getting better and then he'd have bad days. After two weeks, he eventually passed on his own. Chickens will break your heart like no other animal.

exactly the same dynamic with my two internal layers..
you think they're getting better, but suddenly they get worse and die:hit
it' such a difficult thing to accept...:(

You are doing a wonderful job caring for your sick hen. I'm very much attached to my girls and dread the day I lose one to sickness. Wondering if the vet could recommend something for pain to make her more comfortable such as Metacam? Sending hugs your way.:hugs
I will call in the morning, I think they are open until noon. Thank you for the kind words, I do just love her dearly. I’m so glad there are others like who show chickens the kindness they deserve.
For some reason it’s hard for me to know if I’m posting in the right spots but then I get an email with a response so I guess it is being seen by some, lol.

Aw, thank you saying what you did, it makes me feel like I’m doing all I can do. I did lay her in the grass today and
Let her get some sunshine. The other chickens came and talked to her but I didn’t let any get too close bc she is so vulnerable. But I wanted her to be in her comfort zone and be able to be near the earth. She stood briefly and
when I took her picture there is a rainbow over her, kinda cool. ❤️

Attachments

• AC96A476-0FEE-433D-B173-5BB81DA094BC.jpeg
    AC96A476-0FEE-433D-B173-5BB81DA094BC.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
Have you checked her for mites and lice? A heavy infestation can cause lethargy, lameness, weight loss and death, heavy wings could be general exhaustian and anemia . Unfortunately the symptoms you describe don't equal a good chance at recovery but it may be possible if you find whats wrong

Three is middle aged and you can start seeing health problems in todays high production layers. She may be laying internally, and that is affecting her ability to get around. It may also affect her crop from emptying if there is pressure inside her abdomen. Her tail down posture is another typical sign that she is having problems. Here is a good article about egg yolk peritonitis:
http://www.theveterinaryexpert.com/backyard-poultry/egg-yolk-peritonitis/
Thank you so much for taking the time to attach that article. She is going to the vet tomorrow. Will let you guys know. <3

How was the vets? Also mites prefer under the wings, along the knees and along sides at base of feathers, they also leave debris so you would probably notice uncommon dirtiness and they'd be visible in evening when they wake up to feed.
I’m having a hard time replying and finding who messaged so I hope you get this.
The vet said she was not egg bound, it’s not mites, she has tumor, cancer; that is why she has had weight loss, intermittent diarrhea, and delayed emptying of her crop. He said purée her food, give small feedings often so her crop doesn’t get obstructed and keep in, warm, comfortable. But today she won’t even stand. Winces to move. How can. I end her suffering.

Attachments

• 8C7EF831-578A-45CA-87DE-A73DF6A59661.jpeg
    8C7EF831-578A-45CA-87DE-A73DF6A59661.jpeg
    504.5 KB · Views: 20

Back
Top Bottom