Sick chicken please help

Pics

dlg11335

In the Brooder
Nov 4, 2019
Can someone please help. I noticed a change in my chickens behavior a
month ago. I brought her inside to what I call the sick bay and realized she had watery diarrhea. That day she drank a gallon of water with probiotics and electrolytes and I believe that saved her life. For several days no eating, but drinking. Gave her a bath to soak just in case she was egg bound. Finally she started moving slow and eating a bit after a week. She would free range in daylight and I put her in the sick bay at night, still diarrhea. Took her stool to vet, he said no worms, gave me tysol antibiotic for 5 days. It seems to help the stools. Now it’s been a month. She has lost weight. And she is lame on one side, can’t perch. So again, I carry her in every evening to her cozy bed inside but just putting her in acts like it hurts, like
Her wing is broke. Could she have cancer? What should I do?

Attachments

• FFED274D-30E3-4BC4-BCF4-F4C68D20E363.jpeg
    FFED274D-30E3-4BC4-BCF4-F4C68D20E363.jpeg
    599.3 KB · Views: 44
Have you checked her for mites and lice? A heavy infestation can cause lethargy, lameness, weight loss and death, heavy wings could be general exhaustian and anemia . Unfortunately the symptoms you describe don't equal a good chance at recovery but it may be possible if you find whats wrong

How old is she? In the picture, her crop appears to be enlarged. Can you feel of it in the early morning before she eats or drinks, and tell us if it feels full and hard, puffy/boggy, or if it is empty. Hens can suffer from crop disorders and reproductive problems, and can also happen together. But the worst symptoms are the wing and lame leg on one side. That sounds like possible Mareks disease.

Have you checked her for mites and lice? A heavy infestation can cause lethargy, lameness, weight loss and death, heavy wings could be general exhaustian and anemia . Unfortunately the symptoms you describe don't equal a good chance at recovery but it may be possible if you find whats wrong
Thank you so much for the response. I did look at her wing and blew and I didn’t see anything? Can you tell me the best way to check? She is back in the house again, but she is not looking good.

Attachments

• 2504CD1D-253A-4979-92ED-7F9512E9A4A1.jpeg
    2504CD1D-253A-4979-92ED-7F9512E9A4A1.jpeg
    529.9 KB · Views: 34
How old is she? In the picture, her crop appears to be enlarged. Can you feel of it in the early morning before she eats or drinks, and tell us if it feels full and hard, puffy/boggy, or if it is empty. Hens can suffer from crop disorders and reproductive problems, and can also happen together. But the worst symptoms are the wing and lame leg on one side. That sounds like possible Mareks disease.
She is 3. Is that old?
Yes, her crop did seem full yesterday am but then in about an hour it seemed better. Now tonight she is puffed up again. She is now having mobility issues, she walked a little today and I had her secure in an outside coop, but she didn’t go into the barn at dusk bc she couldn’t hop up a small step. I carried her in and she is in the house again.
I’m just distraught. For a month I’ve been trying to get her well and she keeps declining. Now I’m wondering if I’m just keeping her suffering. I can try to get her in the vet but a couple weeks ago when I took the stool in for a culture he just said “she’s probably gonna die” . (I didn’t have the chicken with me)
I love her so much. I didn’t think 3 years was that old for a chicken.

Attachments

• F8ED6038-3071-4CBA-B112-853EE9AD16E7.jpeg
    F8ED6038-3071-4CBA-B112-853EE9AD16E7.jpeg
    529.9 KB · Views: 35
Three is middle aged and you can start seeing health problems in todays high production layers. She may be laying internally, and that is affecting her ability to get around. It may also affect her crop from emptying if there is pressure inside her abdomen. Her tail down posture is another typical sign that she is having problems. Here is a good article about egg yolk peritonitis:
http://www.theveterinaryexpert.com/backyard-poultry/egg-yolk-peritonitis/

Three is middle aged and you can start seeing health problems in todays high production layers. She may be laying internally, and that is affecting her ability to get around. It may also affect her crop from emptying if there is pressure inside her abdomen. Her tail down posture is another typical sign that she is having problems. Here is a good article about egg yolk peritonitis:
http://www.theveterinaryexpert.com/backyard-poultry/egg-yolk-peritonitis/
Thank you so much for taking the time to attach that article. She is going to the vet tomorrow. Will let you guys know. <3

How was the vets? Also mites prefer under the wings, along the knees and along sides at base of feathers, they also leave debris so you would probably notice uncommon dirtiness and they'd be visible in evening when they wake up to feed.

Back
Top Bottom