Sick chicken please help

Very sad day. The vet said she was not egg bound, it’s not mites, she has tumor, cancer; that is why she has had weight loss, intermittent diarrhea, and delayed emptying of her crop. He said purée her food, give small feedings often so her crop doesn’t get obstructed and keep in, warm, comfortable.

Very sad day. The vet said she was not egg bound, it’s not mites, she has tumor, cancer; that is why she has had weight loss, intermittent diarrhea, and delayed emptying of her crop. He said purée her food, give small feedings often so her crop doesn’t get obstructed and keep in, warm, comfortable.
I'm so sorry. :hugs

I'm so sorry. :hugs
I’m sorry guys but what should I do now. Now she won’t even stand, she’s too weak to even lift a wing and when she tries she goes flat. I don’t know how to end her suffering. She winces if I try to position her so I have her on the fluffy blanket and she is comfortable on that

Attachments

• 09269C76-979B-4565-A87A-4800A3C5D3AA.jpeg
    09269C76-979B-4565-A87A-4800A3C5D3AA.jpeg
    504.5 KB · Views: 21
How was the vets? Also mites prefer under the wings, along the knees and along sides at base of feathers, they also leave debris so you would probably notice uncommon dirtiness and they'd be visible in evening when they wake up to feed.
I’m having a hard time replying and finding who messaged so I hope you get this.
The vet said she was not egg bound, it’s not mites, she has tumor, cancer; that is why she has had weight loss, intermittent diarrhea, and delayed emptying of her crop. He said purée her food, give small feedings often so her crop doesn’t get obstructed and keep in, warm, comfortable. But today she won’t even stand. Winces to move. How can. I end her suffering.

Attachments

• 8C7EF831-578A-45CA-87DE-A73DF6A59661.jpeg
    8C7EF831-578A-45CA-87DE-A73DF6A59661.jpeg
    504.5 KB · Views: 20
She is still too weak to stand or seems to have no wing control. Winces when moved. How long can this last. You can see if I don’t move her she is cozy
You are doing a wonderful job caring for your sick hen. I'm very much attached to my girls and dread the day I lose one to sickness. Wondering if the vet could recommend something for pain to make her more comfortable such as Metacam? Sending hugs your way.:hugs

You are doing a wonderful job caring for your sick hen. I'm very much attached to my girls and dread the day I lose one to sickness. Wondering if the vet could recommend something for pain to make her more comfortable such as Metacam? Sending hugs your way.:hugs
I will call in the morning, I think they are open until noon. Thank you for the kind words, I do just love her dearly. I’m so glad there are others like who show chickens the kindness they deserve.
For some reason it’s hard for me to know if I’m posting in the right spots but then I get an email with a response so I guess it is being seen by some, lol.

Aw, thank you saying what you did, it makes me feel like I’m doing all I can do. I did lay her in the grass today and
Let her get some sunshine. The other chickens came and talked to her but I didn’t let any get too close bc she is so vulnerable. But I wanted her to be in her comfort zone and be able to be near the earth. She stood briefly and
when I took her picture there is a rainbow over her, kinda cool. ❤️

Attachments

• AC96A476-0FEE-433D-B173-5BB81DA094BC.jpeg
    AC96A476-0FEE-433D-B173-5BB81DA094BC.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
So sorry that the vet could not help her. Would he be able to euthanize her for you, so that she doesn’t suffer, or would you be able to put her down when the time comes? Tumors are common in chickens, and some are caused by Mareks disease. It looks like you are doing a good job keeping her comfortable. I would just offer her water and some food right up to her beak often, and feed her what she likes. Sorry that she seems to be dying.

How old is she? In the picture, her crop appears to be enlarged. Can you feel of it in the early morning before she eats or drinks, and tell us if it feels full and hard, puffy/boggy, or if it is empty. Hens can suffer from crop disorders and reproductive problems, and can also happen together. But the worst symptoms are the wing and lame leg on one side. That sounds like possible Mareks disease.
It does sound like Mareks unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom